POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.tutorials : Sand material : Re: Sand material Server Time
18 Apr 2024 23:15:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Sand material
From: nemesis
Date: 5 Apr 2006 09:45:00
Message: <web.4433c98e346423ceb9f2542f0@news.povray.org>
"motorsep" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> Here is what they have for 3DS MAX:
> http://www.rebelthink.com/images/natshaders/images/old/Sand_RENDER.jpg
> http://www.rebelthink.com/images/natshaders/images/new/Sand_Daylight_HI.jpg
>
> How can I achive such effect with Povray?

I'm guessing a heightfield, atmospheric media and scattering media inside
the heightfield to simulate subsurface scattering will do the job.

this irtc image shows sand without subsurface scattering:
http://www.irtc.org/ftp/pub/stills/2004-08-31/em_giza.jpg

some stupid media is used here:
http://www.irtc.org/ftp/pub/stills/2005-02-28/adsub.jpg

and here is a better use of atmospheric media to convey a nice effect:
http://www.irtc.org/ftp/pub/stills/2002-08-31/tnw_icla.jpg

Unfortunately, none of the pictures show scattering media inside the
heightfield.  Like, say, inside the transparent difference of the
heightfield against a barely scaled version of itself.  Is that possible?