POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.macintosh : ANNOUNCE: MacMegaPOV Universal Binary Beta 1 ready for download. : Re: ANNOUNCE: MacMegaPOV Universal Binary Beta 1 ready for download. Server Time
19 Apr 2024 20:57:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: ANNOUNCE: MacMegaPOV Universal Binary Beta 1 ready for download.
From: Russell Towle
Date: 3 Apr 2006 12:30:00
Message: <web.44314d4886ac38a739b2bf190@news.povray.org>
> > On the older, non-Universal MacMegaPOV 1.2, render time was 173 seconds.
> On what kind of machine, the same iMac Core Duo?

Yes, well, I did the tests on an iMac Core Duo 2Ghz 20". So the older
version of MacMegaPOV had to use Rosetta.

Some further observations:

1. I used the Activity Monitor to find that the new Universal beta will
readily fill the capacity of one processor, and leave the other alone, so
far as I could tell.

2. I finally dragged one of my own #include files to the POV 3.6 Include
directory; and then I could test-render such scenes. They can be complex,
involving thousands of spheres and cylinders and polygons. When I rendered
such a scene, it seemed slow, as though the Universal was having a little
trouble handling the #include data, as tho it were RAM-deficient or
something.

Russell