POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.macintosh : ANNOUNCE: MacMegaPOV Universal Binary Beta 1 ready for download. : Re: ANNOUNCE: MacMegaPOV Universal Binary Beta 1 ready for download. Server Time
25 Apr 2024 08:31:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: ANNOUNCE: MacMegaPOV Universal Binary Beta 1 ready for download.
From: Russell Towle
Date: 3 Apr 2006 02:40:01
Message: <web.4430c30686ac38a739b2bf190@news.povray.org>
> http://megapov.inetart.net/beta/megapovub_b1.zip
>
> Enjoy and please let us know how this application behaves.

OK I tried it and it works!

I tried various test files; every scene file which called one of my *own*
#include files, failed to open that file, complaining that a proper
directory path had not been specified, although one had--I used both
directories, the Official v. 3.6 Include folder, and I specified the folder
containing the #include, although it had been my past practice to let POV
find such #includes by itself--if they are in the same directory as the
scene file, it used to be searched by default,  right?

At any rate. I gave up on those #include files, and turned to a good
benchmark scene file, in which a 3D kaleidoscope of icosahedral symmetry is
fashioned, and a patterned torus inserted partly within.

Max_trace is set at 5, to avoid horrendous overhead.

Even then, the thing is usually slow to render.

I rendered to a 600 by 600 image, without saving, and with quality set to 9,
Compute Media, and anti-aliasing turned on, type 2.

The results?

On the older, non-Universal MacMegaPOV 1.2, render time was 173 seconds.

On the beta Universal MacMegaPOV 1.2, render time was 43 seconds.

My machine is an iMac Core Duo 20" 2Ghz 2GB.

Thank you thak you thank you thank you thank you!!!!!

Russell Towle