POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.documentation.inbuilt : (seed) could use a better explanation : Re: (seed) could use a better explanation Server Time
19 Apr 2024 17:03:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: (seed) could use a better explanation
From: Kenneth
Date: 7 Oct 2005 21:25:01
Message: <web.43471f9d6c2f1bf782eee3d0@news.povray.org>
"Kenneth" <kdw### [at] earthlinknet> wrote:
> "Kenneth" <kdw### [at] earthlinknet> wrote:
>

> I decided to run my own code example, as outlined above, and the results do
> NOT agree with my concept of it. Which leaves me at a loss as to what's
> going on.

Not to beat this poor horse into the ground, but I've just made a "major new
discovery!" New for ME, anyway. It is this:

THE VALUE PLACED INTO SEED CAN BE A FLOATING-POINT NUMBER, NOT JUST AN
INTEGER.

I never thought of doing that, or that it COULD be done. Which would explain
why my own code isn't doing what I thought it would.

I have to say I've never come across this bit of info anywhere in the POV
docs, NOR on any of the tutorial websites I've been to. Perhaps it should
have been a "no brainer," considering that POV always works with
floats...but here's the basis for my misconception:

1) POV's description of SEED makes no mention of that..which by itself is
probably understandable (if a bit non-informative).
2) POV's description of RAND, however--found directly above SEED in the
docs,--says: "rand(I)  Returns the next psuedo-random number from the
stream specified by the positive integer I."  POSITIVE INTEGER I.  Hmm.....