POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Indra's deep sea life : Re: Indra's deep sea life Server Time
23 Apr 2024 03:22:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Indra's deep sea life
From: Dave Matthews
Date: 6 Jun 2005 10:50:00
Message: <web.42a4615ad40151ad8c7259570@news.povray.org>
Kevin Wampler <wam### [at] cswashingtonedu> wrote:
> Just a couple of images obtained with a few reflective objects.  JPG did
> some pretty bad blurring to the first one, but I don't know how to fix
> that without increasing the file size probably a bit too high.
>
> This ideas for these came from the book I'm reading "Indra's Pearls"
> which so far I would recommend.  It gives a very accessible and pretty
> picture filled description of the symmetries of Kleinian groups.  Sounds
> dry, but they make some dang nice fractals and are very elegant
> mathematically as well.

Thanks for the reference and the source code!  I've been playing with
similar constructions (in the fractal contest from last year I placed
tangent spheres at the vertices of a cube:

http://astronomy.swin.edu.au/~pbourke/povray/povfrac/final/0002.html

and have since been working with other constructions.)  But yours came out
way cooler, and with new variations I hadn't thought of.  I'll have to get
the book.  I have seen the name "Indra's Pearls" on some fractals scattered
throughout the internet, but wasn't aware of their construction.

Very nice!

Dave Matthews