POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.animations : What is "Technical Merit"? : What is "Technical Merit"? Server Time
18 Apr 2024 22:34:48 EDT (-0400)
  What is "Technical Merit"?
From: David Cuny
Date: 16 Feb 2005 04:45:01
Message: <web.42131435b78b3f4625e2bb070@news.povray.org>
I'm not sure "Technical Merit" this is intended in the sense of being
"geeky" sense, or a "skilled animator". I always assumed that it was credit
for a geeky sort of coding bit - for example, the animation of the vehicle
in "RTDR-1".

This time around, "deux" got special mention for technical merit, but I
can't figure out what specifically Matt did to get it. It's probably the
cool "portal" effect, but there's also a chance the judges were swayed by
his mentioning "Hamiltonian or Lagrangian mechanics" in the description.
The prize doesn't make it clear.

The "photons" submission made use of a Python script to generate the
animation, which gives it lots of geeky points in my book. But was ranked
far below "fish" and "nicholas", neither of which seem to require any
coding skills.

So what does technical mean, anyhow?

I'm not not arguing with any judgements here, I'm just trying to understand
what the category means, so I can maximize my score in the future! :-)