POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Pov-Ray With Subdivision (Pov-Sub) v0.02 available : Re: Pov-Ray With Subdivision (Pov-Sub) v0.02 available Server Time
19 Apr 2024 09:01:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Pov-Ray With Subdivision (Pov-Sub) v0.02 available
From: William Pokorny
Date: 22 May 2004 09:40:00
Message: <web.40af57a755eef5cf46eded990@news.povray.org>
"Xiaobin Wu" <xwu### [at] cisefuledu> wrote:
> It has been 10 days since we posted first version of pov-ray with

Thanks for your efforts. I am just a user, but I think it's a very cool idea
to stick this kind of feature inside Pov-Ray. I agree with another's
suggestion that an option to save the resulting mesh would useful.

Could we also get an ability to apply displacements and warps to the mesh
inside Pov-Ray as an extension to your current work? Many of the new
Pov-Ray 3.5 features greatly expand our ability to model on the fly with
Pov-Ray. Parametric objects, isosurfaces, sphere sweeps and the like - but
these features are often very slow.

I am aware of one package written in POV-Ray's SDL that can replace some of
these objects with meshes. It would be helpful to couple surface
subdivision / smoothing with this mesh replacement of complex objects
feature. All done inside Pov-Ray.

For example, I can envision creating water surfaces and such with an on the
fly mesh capability.

I suppose preventing dengenerate meshes in all cases could be difficult...

Oh, a small thing, the figure text for the right most figure of example 4 on
your web page should I think read "After 2-step subdivision."