POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.tutorials : New doc : Re: New doc Server Time
28 Mar 2024 12:26:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: New doc
From: Peter J  Holzer
Date: 18 Nov 2000 20:01:51
Message: <slrn91e5e5.tre.hjp-usenet@teal.h.hjp.at>
On Thu, 16 Nov 2000 14:16:00 +0100, Fabien HENON wrote:
>Il s'agit d'un message multivolet au format MIME.
>--------------DB2B8FB4AEE0A511EF40ABED
>
>For a try, I have 'converted' the POV documentation into a new form
>which I find more readable.
>Then again, this is just a beginning, and I have started with the part
>which is the hardest to me : Interior and media.
>
>It is not finished yet, but I'd like some feedback to know if it might
>be useful to some of you and what improvements can be added.
>It works best with Acrobat Reader 4.0 (the one with indexes on the left)

Things I like:

  * Different colors for text, code, default values, etc.

  * Sans serif font for text (better for reading on screen, though I
    prefer serifed fonts on paper).

  * The open parentheses which indicates whether the keyword opens a
    block.

Things I don't like:

  * Text is too wide. Keep it to about 2/3 of the page.

  * Same font for text and examples. I'd prefer examples to be set in a
    fixed-width font (but not Courier, if possible), but at least it
    should be different from text so that you can use the same font in
    the text for short code snippets (alternatively you could use the
    same color).

  * The layout is strange. E.g., on p. 7 the example looks like:

	interior {
	          media {
		         absorption rgb <0.4,0.9,0.7> } }

    but it should be either on one line or look like:

	interior {
	    media {
		absorption rgb <0.4,0.9,0.7>
	    }
	}

    i.e. consistend indentation and closing parethesis below
    corresponding keyword.

    On p. 9 there are alernatively short and long lines!

  * Missing syntax.

Things I'm not sure about:

  * The yellowish background. It's quite nice on screen, but might cause
    problems with printing (poor contrast, slow printing, high toner
    usage). Most people seem to prefer to print long PDF files.

--

__/   | http://www.hjp.at/ |