POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Change povray.ini path other than "C:UsersUSERNAMEDocumentsPOV-Rayv3.6"? Server Time
29 Mar 2024 06:49:59 EDT (-0400)
  Change povray.ini path other than "C:UsersUSERNAMEDocumentsPOV-Rayv3.6"? (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: chihiro
Subject: Change povray.ini path other than "C:UsersUSERNAMEDocumentsPOV-Rayv3.6"?
Date: 9 Oct 2012 03:25:01
Message: <web.5073d0ac7cbb67d0b6bc722a0@news.povray.org>
Hi all,
I installed the Pov-ray 64bit-binary on my Windows7 and the installer
automatically installed the application under
"C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\POV-Ray" and its libraries under
"C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\POV-Ray".

What I'm trying to do now is moving the libraries to different location other
than "My Documents" and make povray.exe reference them.

I tried to change the environment variable, "POVINI" but it didn't work.

Any comments are appreciated.
Thank you,
-Chihiro

Post a reply to this message

> I installed the Pov-ray 64bit-binary on my Windows7 and the installer
> automatically installed the application under
> "C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\POV-Ray" and its libraries under
> "C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\POV-Ray".
>
> What I'm trying to do now is moving the libraries to different location other
> than "My Documents" and make povray.exe reference them.
>
> I tried to change the environment variable, "POVINI" but it didn't work.
>
> Any comments are appreciated.
> Thank you,
> -Chihiro

For that, you need to edit the pvengine.ini and povray.ini files to
reflect the new location.

In povray.ini, you add (the quotes are mendatory):
Library_Path="path to the inc folder"
Library_Path="path to the scenes folder"
one per line for the include and scenes folders.
You can also add: Output_File_Name="D:\my POV Images\"
This redirect all the rendered images to that folder.

In pvengine.ini, you need to add a section:
[Permitted Input Paths]
followed by a list of allowed input paths:
1="path to the inc folder"
2="path to the scenes folder"

And:
[Permitted Output Paths]
1="D:\my POV Images\"

The pvengine.ini and povray.ini files CAN'T be relocated. Also, there
are some inc files that must stay in the default location, like colors.inc.

For the executable itself, you should only need to relocate it and
create a shortcut to the new location. DON'T forget to set the path in
the "Start in:" box to the same location as the executable. It will look
like:
Target: "T:\my programms\POV-Ray\v3.7 RC6\bin\pvengine-sse2.exe"
Start in: "T:\my programms\POV-Ray\v3.7 RC6\"

You may add a keyboard shortcut if you want to.

Don't forget that you'll need to repeat that procedure whenever you
update to a new version or pass to version 3.7, whitch I highly
recomend. It's located in the "beta" download page but is rock solid. It
will also support all your cores/CPUs while version 3.6 can only use a
single core/CPU.

Alain

Post a reply to this message

Thank you, Alain! (And sorry for the late reply.)
I understood that I cannot relocate ALL of the files.
And will try v3.7 soon.

Best,
Chihiro