POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Compiling Povray 3.62 Server Time
28 Mar 2024 15:52:50 EDT (-0400)
  Compiling Povray 3.62 (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Jos leys
Subject: Compiling Povray 3.62
Date: 1 Dec 2009 15:10:01
Message: <web.4b15770df81170ce3aa8a0340@news.povray.org>
Let me first say that I have done no Povray compiling before, but I want to try
and add some functions for my own use.

So I downloaded the source files.
I have MS Visual C++ 2008 express edition.
I edit optout.h to put in my name."Distribution message 2", then select Povwin
and hit F7. The compiling starts until  I see:

"7>Linking...
7>LINK : fatal error LNK1181: cannot open input file
'.\win32\libpng\debug\libpng.lib'

What am I doing wrong?

Post a reply to this message

> Let me first say that I have done no Povray compiling before, but I want to try
> and add some functions for my own use.
>
> So I downloaded the source files.
> I have MS Visual C++ 2008 express edition.
> I edit optout.h to put in my name."Distribution message 2", then select Povwin
> and hit F7. The compiling starts until  I see:
>
> "7>Linking...
> 7>LINK : fatal error LNK1181: cannot open input file
> '.\win32\libpng\debug\libpng.lib'
>
> What am I doing wrong?

You obviously don't have de debug version of libpng.lib

Try compiling with the debug option disabled. Anyway, a non-debug
version will run faster than the debug version.

Alain

Post a reply to this message

From: PerNyblom
Date: 3 Dec 2009 19:25:01
Message: <web.4b1856687588566f1384d1150@news.povray.org>
> "7>Linking...
> 7>LINK : fatal error LNK1181: cannot open input file
> '.\win32\libpng\debug\libpng.lib'
>
> What am I doing wrong?

I had the same problem but I was able to combile and generate the libpng.lib by
adding a suitable include switch.

Don't you get a lot of error messages when you try to compile the png part
(libpng.lib) ?

Post a reply to this message

From: Jos leys
Date: 4 Dec 2009 18:20:01
Message: <web.4b1997ea7588566f3aa8a0340@news.povray.org>
I managed to compile in the meantime.

As I have Visual C++2008, I had opened the povray.sln file in the VC2008 folder
and this generated the fatal error, both in debug and release mode.
However when I used the povray.sln file file in the VC 2005 folder, the
compilation went smoothly !

Mysteriuous, byt then again I'm a total newbie at compiling.
Thanks for the suggestions though..