POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : no EXR in linux Server Time
29 Mar 2024 10:04:34 EDT (-0400)
  no EXR in linux (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: green
Subject: no EXR in linux
Date: 24 Apr 2018 21:25:00
Message: <web.5adfd6693b63f409f3726380@news.povray.org>
linux versions 3.7, 3.8 and uberpov will not write or read EXR file formats.
trying to write gives a command-line-option error, whereas trying to read an EXR
gives a more useful

This unofficial POV-Ray  binary was built without support for the OpenEXR file
format.  You must either  use an official POV-Ray binary or recompile the
POV-Ray sources on a system  providing you with the OpenEXR library to make use
of this facility.
 Alternatively, you may use any of the following built-in formats: HDR.
Fatal error in parser: Cannot open file.
Render failed

how does one do that?

this is ubuntu 16.04  kernel 4.4.108, the following libraries are installed;
   libopenexr-dev
   libopenexr22
   openexr
and associated
   libilmbase-dev
   libilmbase12
all of these are version 2.2.0-10ubuntu2

thank you.

Post a reply to this message

> linux versions 3.7, 3.8 and uberpov will not write or read EXR file formats.
> trying to write gives a command-line-option error, whereas trying to read an EXR
> gives a more useful
>
> This unofficial POV-Ray  binary was built without support for the OpenEXR file
> format.  You must either  use an official POV-Ray binary or recompile the
> POV-Ray sources on a system  providing you with the OpenEXR library to make use
> of this facility.
>   Alternatively, you may use any of the following built-in formats: HDR.
> Fatal error in parser: Cannot open file.
> Render failed
>
> how does one do that?
>
> this is ubuntu 16.04  kernel 4.4.108, the following libraries are installed;
>     libopenexr-dev
>     libopenexr22
>     openexr
> and associated
>     libilmbase-dev
>     libilmbase12
> all of these are version 2.2.0-10ubuntu2
>
> thank you.

works fine on my system:

POV-Ray 3.8.0-alpha.9322209.unofficial

Copyright 1991-2017 Persistence of Vision Raytracer Pty. Ltd.

Built-in features:
   I/O restrictions:          enabled
   X Window display:          enabled (using SDL)
   Supported image formats:   gif tga iff ppm pgm hdr png jpeg tiff openexr
   Unsupported image formats: -

Compilation settings:
   Build architecture:  x86_64-suse-linux-gnu
   Built/Optimized for: x86_64-suse-linux-gnu (using -march=native)
   Compiler vendor:     gnu
   Compiler version:    g++ -std=gnu++11 4.8
   Compiler flags:      -pipe -Wno-multichar -Wno-write-strings
-fno-enforce-eh-specs -Wno-non-template-friend -s -O3 -ffast-math
-march=native -pthread

and i sourced these libraries from opensuse repositories during build:

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'exrlibs.png' (40 KB)

Preview of image 'exrlibs.png'
exrlibs.png

On 04/25/2018 06:38 AM, Jim Holsenback wrote:
> On 04/24/2018 09:24 PM, green wrote:
>> linux versions 3.7, 3.8 and uberpov will not write or read EXR file
>> formats.
>> trying to write gives a command-line-option error, whereas trying to
>> read an EXR
>> gives a more useful
>>
>> This unofficial POV-Ray  binary was built without support for the
>> OpenEXR file
>> format.  You must either  use an official POV-Ray binary or recompile the
>> POV-Ray sources on a system  providing you with the OpenEXR library to
>> make use
>> of this facility.
>>   Alternatively, you may use any of the following built-in formats: HDR.
>> Fatal error in parser: Cannot open file.
>> Render failed
>>
>> how does one do that?
>>
>> this is ubuntu 16.04  kernel 4.4.108, the following libraries are
>> installed;
>>     libopenexr-dev
>>     libopenexr22
>>     openexr
>> and associated
>>     libilmbase-dev
>>     libilmbase12
>> all of these are version 2.2.0-10ubuntu2
>>
>> thank you.
>>

> works fine on my system:
>
> POV-Ray 3.8.0-alpha.9322209.unofficial
>
> Copyright 1991-2017 Persistence of Vision Raytracer Pty. Ltd.
> This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is NO
>
> Built-in features:
>    I/O restrictions:          enabled
>    X Window display:          enabled (using SDL)
>    Supported image formats:   gif tga iff ppm pgm hdr png jpeg tiff openexr
>    Unsupported image formats: -
>
> Compilation settings:
>    Build architecture:  x86_64-suse-linux-gnu
>    Built/Optimized for: x86_64-suse-linux-gnu (using -march=native)
>    Compiler vendor:     gnu
>    Compiler version:    g++ -std=gnu++11 4.8
>    Compiler flags:      -pipe -Wno-multichar -Wno-write-strings
> -fno-enforce-eh-specs -Wno-non-template-friend -s -O3 -ffast-math
> -march=native -pthread
>
> and i sourced these libraries from opensuse repositories during build:

forgot to mention that package names in your repository are most likely
different ... i routinely read and write exr and hdr formats

Post a reply to this message

> linux versions 3.7, 3.8 and uberpov will not write or read EXR file formats.
> trying to write gives a command-line-option error, whereas trying to read an EXR
> gives a more useful
>
> This unofficial POV-Ray  binary was built without support for the OpenEXR file
> format.  You must either  use an official POV-Ray binary or recompile the
> POV-Ray sources on a system  providing you with the OpenEXR library to make use
> of this facility.
>   Alternatively, you may use any of the following built-in formats: HDR.
> Fatal error in parser: Cannot open file.
> Render failed
>
> how does one do that?
>
> this is ubuntu 16.04  kernel 4.4.108, the following libraries are installed;
>     libopenexr-dev
>     libopenexr22
>     openexr
> and associated
>     libilmbase-dev
>     libilmbase12
> all of these are version 2.2.0-10ubuntu2
>
> thank you.

Did you compile them yourself ?

Did you read the output of ./configure about openexr ?
(not only the end, but when it search for openexr)

(From my experience with Ubuntu 16.04, no problem to have openexr in
povray, I have the output of "povray --version" to prove it)

If it can help, I documented an even older version of ubuntu, when it
was 3.7RC4 (yep, it's old):

http://wiki.povray.org/content/User:Le_Forgeron/vault/Ubuntu_Gcc

Post a reply to this message

Jim Holsenback <ash### [at] nospamcom> wrote:
> On 04/25/2018 06:38 AM, Jim Holsenback wrote:
> > On 04/24/2018 09:24 PM, green wrote:
> >> linux versions 3.7, 3.8 and uberpov will not write or read EXR file
> >> formats.
> >> trying to write gives a command-line-option error, whereas trying to
> >> read an EXR
> >> gives a more useful
> >>
> >> This unofficial POV-Ray  binary was built without support for the
> >> OpenEXR file
> >> format.  You must either  use an official POV-Ray binary or recompile the
> >> POV-Ray sources on a system  providing you with the OpenEXR library to
> >> make use
> >> of this facility.
> >>   Alternatively, you may use any of the following built-in formats: HDR.
> >> Fatal error in parser: Cannot open file.
> >> Render failed
> >>
> >> how does one do that?
> >>
> >> this is ubuntu 16.04  kernel 4.4.108, the following libraries are
> >> installed;
> >>     libopenexr-dev
> >>     libopenexr22
> >>     openexr
> >> and associated
> >>     libilmbase-dev
> >>     libilmbase12
> >> all of these are version 2.2.0-10ubuntu2
> >>
> >> thank you.
> >>

> > works fine on my system:
> >
> > POV-Ray 3.8.0-alpha.9322209.unofficial
> >
> > Copyright 1991-2017 Persistence of Vision Raytracer Pty. Ltd.
> > This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is NO
> > warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
> >
> > Built-in features:
> >    I/O restrictions:          enabled
> >    X Window display:          enabled (using SDL)
> >    Supported image formats:   gif tga iff ppm pgm hdr png jpeg tiff openexr
> >    Unsupported image formats: -
> >
> > Compilation settings:
> >    Build architecture:  x86_64-suse-linux-gnu
> >    Built/Optimized for: x86_64-suse-linux-gnu (using -march=native)
> >    Compiler vendor:     gnu
> >    Compiler version:    g++ -std=gnu++11 4.8
> >    Compiler flags:      -pipe -Wno-multichar -Wno-write-strings
> > -fno-enforce-eh-specs -Wno-non-template-friend -s -O3 -ffast-math
> > -march=native -pthread
> >
> > and i sourced these libraries from opensuse repositories during build:
> >

> forgot to mention that package names in your repository are most likely
> different ... i routinely read and write exr and hdr formats

the difference in the SUSE and unbuntu libraries seem too much to be compared.
for what it is worth, i compiled uberpov for windows 7 and EXR works just fine.
one difference from yours i see below is the compiler version; could this be my
problem?

POV-Ray 3.7.0.1.unofficial

Copyright 1991-2013 Persistence of Vision Raytracer Pty. Ltd.

Built-in features:
  I/O restrictions:          enabled
  X Window display:          disabled
  Supported image formats:   gif tga iff ppm pgm hdr png jpeg tiff
  Unsupported image formats: openexr

Compilation settings:
  Build architecture:  x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
  Built/Optimized for: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu (using -march=native)
  Compiler vendor:     gnu
  Compiler version:    g++ 5.4.0