POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : How to compile 3.7RC7 with Haswell and older gcc version, my solution Server Time
16 Apr 2024 14:40:20 EDT (-0400)
  How to compile 3.7RC7 with Haswell and older gcc version, my solution (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
Subject: How to compile 3.7RC7 with Haswell and older gcc version, my solution
Date: 25 Aug 2013 07:25:00
Message: <web.5219e8931a49463c4a5b8f720@news.povray.org>
I have quite new CPU (i7-4770K) and old version of Ubuntu (12.04 LTS 64-bit).

It was not possible to compile 3.7RC7 with default settings, the compilation
stopped with unknown assembly instructions when old gcc didn't recognize Haswell
architecture's native instructions.

I query-replaced march=native with march=corei7 from configure file and after
that all went normally.

I can't say if the speed suffered, but now it shows all 8 (virtual) cores in
100% load when rendering and it is much faster than my older i5-750 rig.

Post a reply to this message

> I have quite new CPU (i7-4770K) and old version of Ubuntu (12.04 LTS 64-bit).
>
> It was not possible to compile 3.7RC7 with default settings, the compilation
> stopped with unknown assembly instructions when old gcc didn't recognize Haswell
> architecture's native instructions.
>
> I query-replaced march=native with march=corei7 from configure file and after
> that all went normally.
>
> I can't say if the speed suffered, but now it shows all 8 (virtual) cores in
> 100% load when rendering and it is much faster than my older i5-750 rig.

Thanks for sharing.

Just for the sake of completeness, your gcc version might also be of
interest to readers.

Date: 25 Aug 2013 11:30:01
Message: <web.521a220c757770714a5b8f720@news.povray.org>

> Just for the sake of completeness, your gcc version might also be of
> interest to readers.

gcc 4.6.3, from 12.04 LTS repos.

Post a reply to this message

> I have quite new CPU (i7-4770K) and old version of Ubuntu (12.04 LTS 64-bit).
>
> It was not possible to compile 3.7RC7 with default settings, the compilation
> stopped with unknown assembly instructions when old gcc didn't recognize Haswell
> architecture's native instructions.
>
> I query-replaced march=native with march=corei7 from configure file and after
> that all went normally.
>
> I can't say if the speed suffered, but now it shows all 8 (virtual) cores in
> 100% load when rendering and it is much faster than my older i5-750 rig.

Haswell implements AVX2, but I doubt gcc can extract enough parallelism from the
povray code to utilize those instructions effectively.