POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Re: The cake is a lie, but... Server Time
16 Apr 2024 18:07:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The cake is a lie, but... (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: clipka
Subject: Re: The cake is a lie, but...
Date: 12 Dec 2012 09:44:07
Message: <50c89837$1@news.povray.org>
Am 12.12.2012 14:56, schrieb clipka in povray.off-topic:

> So now for task 2 step 1: Try to compile the most recent POV-Ray 3.7
> development version on the Pi. I think I already have all the necessary
> libraries installed, but we'll see...

Downloaded & unpacked the original povray-3.7.0.RC6.tar.gz fresh from
povray.org.

"./compile" is considerably slower than on my x86 Linux machine (maybe
the SD card is a bottleneck?), but seems to be happy with what it finds.
I'm not, as I forgot to specify "--prefix=...", so I had to run it again.

"make check" is a slow crawl, which again I blame on the SD card. What
worries me a bit is that I get repeated assembler warnings like:

{standard input}: Assembler messages:
{standard input}:2148: Warning: swp{b} use is deprecated for this
architecture

I wonder what this means; for the time being I suspect this to be a flaw
in the Raspbian distro, specifically the compiler suite.

Anyway, this is going to take ages, so unless this first build already
turns out to run like a charm, the next task is probably to hook up some
external HD via USB and see if that speeds things up. Maybe even a USB
stick will do.

Post a reply to this message

> Am 12.12.2012 14:56, schrieb clipka in povray.off-topic:
>
>> So now for task 2 step 1: Try to compile the most recent POV-Ray 3.7
>> development version on the Pi. I think I already have all the necessary
>> libraries installed, but we'll see...
>
> Downloaded & unpacked the original povray-3.7.0.RC6.tar.gz fresh from
> povray.org.
>
> "./compile" is considerably slower than on my x86 Linux machine (maybe
> the SD card is a bottleneck?), but seems to be happy with what it finds.
> I'm not, as I forgot to specify "--prefix=...", so I had to run it again.
>
> "make check" is a slow crawl, which again I blame on the SD card. What
> worries me a bit is that I get repeated assembler warnings like:
>
> {standard input}: Assembler messages:
> {standard input}:2148: Warning: swp{b} use is deprecated for this
> architecture
>
> I wonder what this means; for the time being I suspect this to be a flaw
> in the Raspbian distro, specifically the compiler suite.
>
> Anyway, this is going to take ages, so unless this first build already
> turns out to run like a charm, the next task is probably to hook up some
> external HD via USB and see if that speeds things up. Maybe even a USB
> stick will do.

must be like having christmas come a few weeks early ( a new toy to play
with) ... have fun

Post a reply to this message