POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.tools.poser : no preview Server Time
28 Mar 2024 07:34:26 EDT (-0400)
  no preview (Message 1 to 10 of 15)
From: Nekar Xenos
Subject: no preview
Date: 7 Oct 2014 03:20:02
Message: <web.5433940f72e180d89333ced10@news.povray.org>
I am trying to import a poser 6 model with PoseRay (current version). When I
import it into PoseRay I it doesn't show up in the preview window. If I check
"orthographic" under the view panel I get a preview that resembles a black
silhouette. If I export the normal blank version to Pov-Ray, it renders a black
silhouette.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

-Nekar Xenos

Post a reply to this message

> I am trying to import a poser 6 model with PoseRay (current version). When I
> import it into PoseRay I it doesn't show up in the preview window. If I check
> "orthographic" under the view panel I get a preview that resembles a black
> silhouette. If I export the normal blank version to Pov-Ray, it renders a black
> silhouette.
>
> Any ideas on how to fix this?
>
> -Nekar Xenos

Hmm... Are you exporting directly from Poser 6? I have made a test with
some models I had exported - allegedly - from Poser 6 in the past,
looking at their time stamps, and I do not have your problem.

Thomas

Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 7 Oct 2014 04:10:25
Message: <54339ff1$1@news.povray.org>
On 7-10-2014 9:59, Thomas de Groot wrote:
> Hmm... Are you exporting directly from Poser 6? I have made a test with
> some models I had exported - allegedly - from Poser 6 in the past,
> looking at their time stamps, and I do not have your problem.

Some extra thoughts:

- Have you checked the warnings message in the yellow field at the
bottom of Poseray? I suspect that the textures could not be found.

- Check also the Materials window and look if the texture paths are
mentioned but without the textures appearing.

In both these cases the paths to the textures may not be set correctly
(see in the Input window the texture maps search paths when importing a
Poser model).

- In the Preview window you may test if 'Draw double sided' and 'Apply
mats to both sides' are checked and if that makes a difference (I guess
not).

Thomas

Post a reply to this message

From: Nekar Xenos
Date: 7 Oct 2014 06:55:01
Message: <web.5433c5c0edeba6a69333ced10@news.povray.org>
> On 7-10-2014 9:59, Thomas de Groot wrote:
> > Hmm... Are you exporting directly from Poser 6? I have made a test with
> > some models I had exported - allegedly - from Poser 6 in the past,
> > looking at their time stamps, and I do not have your problem.
> >

> Some extra thoughts:
>
> - Have you checked the warnings message in the yellow field at the
> bottom of Poseray? I suspect that the textures could not be found.

I remember having checked for error messages and there were none.

> - Check also the Materials window and look if the texture paths are
> mentioned but without the textures appearing.

will check that tonight

> In both these cases the paths to the textures may not be set correctly
> (see in the Input window the texture maps search paths when importing a
> Poser model).

This was correct because I did check for it.

> - In the Preview window you may test if 'Draw double sided' and 'Apply
> mats to both sides' are checked and if that makes a difference (I guess
> not).

Both were checked. I had the same results checked and unchecked.

> Thomas

Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 7 Oct 2014 07:15:36
Message: <5433cb58$1@news.povray.org>
Tricky. The only other thing I can imagine is the orientation of the
normals. Could they be oriented inside?

Thomas

Post a reply to this message

From: Nekar Xenos
Date: 7 Oct 2014 10:55:00
Message: <web.5433fdd1edeba6a69333ced10@news.povray.org>
> Tricky. The only other thing I can imagine is the orientation of the
> normals. Could they be oriented inside?

I did manage to get a little bit more light by changing default gamma to 2.2.
The result was a very dark gold colour instead of a cream white.

> Thomas

Post a reply to this message

From: Nekar Xenos
Date: 7 Oct 2014 13:33:36
Message: <op.xnde18mcufxv4h@xena.home>
On Tue, 07 Oct 2014 13:15:20 +0200, Thomas de Groot <tho### [at] degrootorg>
wrote:

> Tricky. The only other thing I can imagine is the orientation of the
> normals. Could they be oriented inside?
>
> Thomas

No, the normals are correct. I've just tried the previous version and it
works fine in PoseRay v3.13.21.571

--
-Nekar Xenos-

Post a reply to this message

From: Nekar Xenos
Date: 7 Oct 2014 14:54:32
Message: <op.xndis3odufxv4h@xena.home>
On Tue, 07 Oct 2014 19:33:33 +0200, Nekar Xenos <nek### [at] gmailcom>
wrote:

> On Tue, 07 Oct 2014 13:15:20 +0200, Thomas de Groot <tho### [at] degrootorg>
> wrote:
>
>> Tricky. The only other thing I can imagine is the orientation of the
>> normals. Could they be oriented inside?
>>
>> Thomas
>>

> No, the normals are correct. I've just tried the previous version and it
> works fine in PoseRay v3.13.21.571

Correction. A quick test worked fine. My actual figure still doesn't work.
It seems there is something about my scene that poseray doesn't like.

--
-Nekar Xenos-

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 7 Oct 2014 15:18:25
Message: <54343c81$1@news.povray.org>
On 07/10/2014 19:54, Nekar Xenos wrote:
> On Tue, 07 Oct 2014 19:33:33 +0200, Nekar Xenos <nek### [at] gmailcom>
> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 07 Oct 2014 13:15:20 +0200, Thomas de Groot
>> <tho### [at] degrootorg> wrote:
>>
>>> Tricky. The only other thing I can imagine is the orientation of the
>>> normals. Could they be oriented inside?
>>>
>>> Thomas
>>>

>> No, the normals are correct. I've just tried the previous version and
>> it works fine in PoseRay v3.13.21.571
>>
> Correction. A quick test worked fine. My actual figure still doesn't
> work. It seems there is something about my scene that poseray doesn't like.

Have you tried exporting the models to OBJ before importing them to PoseRay?

That is what I always do.

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Nekar Xenos
Date: 7 Oct 2014 16:00:03
Message: <op.xndluamdufxv4h@xena.home>
On Tue, 07 Oct 2014 21:18:25 +0200, Stephen <mca### [at] aolcom> wrote:

> On 07/10/2014 19:54, Nekar Xenos wrote:
>> On Tue, 07 Oct 2014 19:33:33 +0200, Nekar Xenos <nek### [at] gmailcom>
>> wrote:

>>> No, the normals are correct. I've just tried the previous version and
>>> it works fine in PoseRay v3.13.21.571
>>>
>> Correction. A quick test worked fine. My actual figure still doesn't
>> work. It seems there is something about my scene that poseray doesn't
>> like.
>>

> Have you tried exporting the models to OBJ before importing them to
> PoseRay?
>
> That is what I always do.

I always do that too. :(
I've replaced the figure with a Poser 4 figure and now it imports fine,
but the render is very dark, though not completely a silhouette

--
-Nekar Xenos-