POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.tools.poser : Incursion into the Hair Room: Problems with Poseray Server Time
18 Apr 2024 23:37:21 EDT (-0400)
  Incursion into the Hair Room: Problems with Poseray (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Incursion into the Hair Room: Problems with Poseray
Date: 20 Jun 2007 08:54:42
Message: <46792392$1@news.povray.org>
The composite image in p.b.i. illustrates the comments I give here.

In preparation for th creation of some fur (but, why not? moustaches...
beards....) I wnated first to see how that would look in the Hair Room of
Poser. I put some rapid hair-growing unguent on a featureless ball and, lo!
Hair was growing all over. That is what you see in the upper left hand
rendered image.

I then exported the hairy ball and opened it in Poseray (upper right hand
image), checking 'show lines' in the Preview window. First thing to note is
that the Poser material seems not to have been taken into account. The
hairs/lines are black, but they look fairly identical to the Poser render.

I did not change the settings in the Groups\Lines window and, as a first
test, did not 'Convert all lines to ribbons'. I exported to POV-Ray and
rendered (background image). What immediately becomes obvious is that the
hair group and the ball are not coincident anymore. The hair group is much
smaller and translated upwards. A second thing is that the lines have been
exported as CSG cylinders. That might slow down the parsing/render time if
large numbers are involved. Referenced mesh2 objects would be better of
course. On the other hand, those are lines, not directly intended to play
the role of 'hair' but only as 'guides' for the 'ribbons'. In fact, they
could be commented out by default in the POV-Ray export.

---------------------------------------------------This is as far as the
shown image
go ----------------------------------------------------------------------

In a second phase, which I want first to explore a little more (especially
concerning the material part), I have converted the lines to ribbons, and I
can already say that those export correctly (in terms of scale and location)
and as mesh2 objects to POV-Ray. However, changing the width of the ribbons
in Poseray seems not to work... Furthermore, using the ribbons, I wonder if
one should not now use an adequate hair image map, combined with a
transparant map, to get a correct result. I shall explore those
possibilities.

Thomas

Post a reply to this message