POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.text.tutorials : Does anyone know a "look at" formula? Server Time
28 Mar 2024 09:18:24 EDT (-0400)
  Does anyone know a "look at" formula? (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Ian Witham
Subject: Does anyone know a "look at" formula?
Date: 4 Jul 2000 10:24:24
Message: <3961f398@news.povray.org>
If I have an object centred on the origin which I say is "looking" straight
down the +z axis for instance, what is a formula to rotate this object so
that it is "looking" at another given vector?

I hope to use this formula to have each object on a 3d spline facing the
next, if you see what I'm getting at.

--

Ian

Inkwell: Ian's Homepage
http://www.topcities.com/cartoon/inkwell/index.htm

Post a reply to this message

> If I have an object centred on the origin which I say is "looking"
> straight down the +z axis for instance, what is a formula to rotate
> this object so that it is "looking" at another given vector?
>
> I hope to use this formula to have each object on a 3d spline facing the
> next, if you see what I'm getting at.

Try the Reorient() macro:
http://www.erols.com/vansickl/macs.htm

TAG Web page: http://tag.povray.org/