POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.text.tutorials : Glowing computer screen done with radiosity...? Server Time
24 Apr 2024 20:25:58 EDT (-0400)
  Glowing computer screen done with radiosity...? (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Shawn Fumo
Subject: Glowing computer screen done with radiosity...?
Date: 6 Nov 1999 23:59:42
Message: <3825080E.1383@the-spa.com>
Hey there,

I was reading that page with the tips on Radiosity. One thing he
mentioned was that an object with a super-high ambient value would
actually produce light when radiosity was turned on, even though it'd
have to be a decent size to make an impact on a whole room.

This got me to thinking... What if I had a model of a person sitting in
front of a computer. There is a bitmap of a real screen shot or perhaps
another 3d scene that had been rendered.

If I cranked the ambience on the sceen up, and had that as the only
illumination in the room, do you think that could produce the desired
effect of like in real life if you shot someone in a dark room with
their face and upper body just illuminated by a screen, with most of the
rest of the room lost in darkness...

I'm just trying to judge if that in itself would be enough to produce
that, or if I should stick with some sort of point light or light that
is part of the screen, etc. I was thinking the radiosity would give a
much more realistic image...

But one other thing that comes to mind... Could this create a subtle
"projector" type of feel? I mean if half of the screen was red and the
other half was blue, would it actually make turn the person's face
different colors?

So, it is just a thought... if it'd work, it seems like it could be a
really nice effect without a massive amount of work involved (yeah
right..hehe). Perhaps as part of my experimentation with Poser
figures...

Thanks...
Shawn =)

-------