POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.text.tutorials : How does one find or make leaves? Server Time
28 Mar 2024 08:33:56 EDT (-0400)
  How does one find or make leaves? (Message 1 to 10 of 13)
From: TigerHawk
Subject: How does one find or make leaves?
Date: 5 Oct 1999 22:28:10
Message: <37FAB3E6.A40AEB59@stic.net>
I am makign some web graphics for a friend. The project is comming along
rather nice, but I reach sort of a wall when I come to making some
assorted leaves on a branch. The branch itself is handmade, and the
leaves can be too, but, being that they are web-graphics and not a full
scene, I would was hoping an include file existed - at least a tutorial
of how to do a leaf in sPatch. I could make some cheezy leaves using
CSG, but I would  like them to look somewhat convincing.

Also, has anyone successfully made tree-bark textures/materials? I am
having some trouble and was hoping someone would be able to help me out
with that as well.

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer, and happy tracing!

Tim Soderstrom
TigerHawk
Tig### [at] SticNet

Post a reply to this message

> I am makign some web graphics for a friend. The project is comming along
> rather nice, but I reach sort of a wall when I come to making some
> assorted leaves on a branch. The branch itself is handmade, and the
> leaves can be too, but, being that they are web-graphics and not a full
> scene, I would was hoping an include file existed - at least a tutorial
> of how to do a leaf in sPatch. I could make some cheezy leaves using
> CSG, but I would  like them to look somewhat convincing.

  I posted a tutorial on making leaves with height fields in the
binaries.tutorials group probably about 9 months ago. It is easy
to do if you have a leaf photograph to work from. There is a web
page that has plant and pollen pics that you could probably get
your pics fron then use my tutorial to get you started for very
realistic looking leaves.

Try both of these sites:
http://iris8.cirad.fr/index.htm
http://www.photovault.com/Link/OrdersFlowers/Pollen/OFPVolume01-02.html

> Also, has anyone successfully made tree-bark textures/materials? I am
> having some trouble and was hoping someone would be able to help me out
> with that as well.

I use greyscale bump maps made from real images of bark and then use
the original full colored image on top of the bum map for the color.
Work good but finding bark images takes a while. You might find some
useful images at the above two sites.

One last suggestion I have is Tree Designer which has a nice suite
of pre-made leaves and is designed for modelling trees. I believe
Mr. Hubert also uses HF's to make leaves for his modeller. Check
it out at:

http://free.prohosting.com/~jhubert/TreeDesigner/

--
Ken Tyler
1100+ Povray, Graphics, 3D Rendering, and Raytracing Links: