POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.text.tutorials : beyond normal maps.... Server Time
19 Apr 2024 08:52:28 EDT (-0400)
  beyond normal maps.... (Message 1 to 10 of 20)
From: TigerHawk
Subject: beyond normal maps....
Date: 28 Jun 1999 14:44:45
Message: <377913A3.80533829@sitc.net>
I was reading up in 3D Graphics and Animatino (@ Barnes and Nobles) and
thumbed through a section the described actually denting the surface of
an object, unlike a normal map which just simulates this effect. Bump
maps are wonderful, but sometimes I need something a little more. For
example, sometimes I need real water. I've been told many ways to get
around bump maps (ie using height fields, etc), but I was wondering if
anything was planned in POV-Ray's future, or if anything did, in fact,
exist, that did physically indent the surface. I realize this would slow
down rendering time (by quite a lot in some cases), but it would be a
nice feature when needed....

Just curious,
Tim Soderstrom
TigerHawk

Post a reply to this message

: thumbed through a section the described actually denting the surface of
: an object, unlike a normal map which just simulates this effect. Bump
: maps are wonderful, but sometimes I need something a little more. For
: example, sometimes I need real water. I've been told many ways to get
: around bump maps (ie using height fields, etc), but I was wondering if
: anything was planned in POV-Ray's future, or if anything did, in fact,
: exist, that did physically indent the surface. I realize this would slow
: down rendering time (by quite a lot in some cases), but it would be a
: nice feature when needed....

  I can think only two ways to achieve this:

  1) Making non-linear transformations to the rays. This would be wonderful
but hardly possible.
  2) Creating thousands or millions of triangles around the object. It may
work, but it would require lots of memory. Also placing triangles on the
surface of mathematical objects is a non-trivial task.

  Don't forget that povray models mathematical surfaces. It doesn't model
polygons like scanline renderers do.