POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.text.tutorials : How does one make realistic water? Server Time
29 Mar 2024 06:32:45 EDT (-0400)
  How does one make realistic water? (Message 1 to 9 of 9)
From: Tim Soderstrom
Subject: How does one make realistic water?
Date: 9 Jun 1999 00:04:44
Message: <375F3A9F.C6545FF4@sitc.net>
I've notice on many IRTC renderings that involve water that the water
looks like, well, water. When I use water (using normal{ ripples 0.15}
or something, maybe waves) I get those ugly circle boundaries. I've
tried making the pattern big, as well as the Number_Of_Waves setting,
but to no avail. So:

How does one make realistic 'wind blown' water like one sees in a pond
or on a calm day in the ocean? (Where all the waves move one way, not in
a circle)

Any help, at least a direction to a tutorial site, would be of help!

Tim Soderstrom
TigerHawk

Post a reply to this message

>I've notice on many IRTC renderings that involve water that the water
>looks like, well, water. When I use water (using normal{ ripples 0.15}
>or something, maybe waves) I get those ugly circle boundaries. I've
>tried making the pattern big, as well as the Number_Of_Waves setting,
>but to no avail. So:
>
>How does one make realistic 'wind blown' water like one sees in a pond
>or on a calm day in the ocean? (Where all the waves move one way, not in
>a circle)

Don't know of any tutorials offhand. There where some VERY good
water images posted in pov.binaries.images a week or so ago.
Have a look at those. Some of them had comments as to how they were
done, some had code iirc.

To get straight waves try something like this

plane {
 y,0
 texture  {
  pigment {  // whatever the water color is
  finish { // whatever the water finish is
  normal {
    ripples 0.3
    scale 3
    translate z*500    // this puts the origin for the ripples a long way
from the
                                     camera
  }
 }
}

That's 1 minute hacked together code, but you should get the idea.

Gail
* gsh### [at] monotixcoza              * ERROR: COFFEE.COM not found  *
* http://www.rucus.ru.ac.za/~gail/ * Insert cup and press any key *
   My Software never has bugs, It just develops random features

But better yet to add 'turbulence n' into that normal as well. Using 'wrinkles' or
'dents' or 'bumps' and scaling longer on one axis can be a good simple way too.

Gail Shaw wrote:

> To get straight waves try something like this
>
> plane {
>  y,0
>  texture  {
>   pigment {  // whatever the water color is
>   finish { // whatever the water finish is
>   normal {
>     ripples 0.3
>     scale 3
>     translate z*500    // this puts the origin for the ripples a long way
> from the
>                                      camera
>   }
>  }
> }
>
> That's 1 minute hacked together code, but you should get the idea.
>
> Gail
> * gsh### [at] monotixcoza              * ERROR: COFFEE.COM not found  *
> * http://www.rucus.ru.ac.za/~gail/ * Insert cup and press any key *
>    My Software never has bugs, It just develops random features

 omniVERSE: beyond the universe

Both the previous answers are very good for very flat or distant water.
Close up you dont get waves showing up against objects, for this you need a
HF use the same patterns as above, mess with them in a good paint package,
soften or blur them a bit and you'll get good water. foam on the waves
though, well no one has managed that well in pov - yet!

Mick

Post a reply to this message