POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.text.scene-files : format of .df3 files Server Time
28 Mar 2024 05:35:54 EDT (-0400)
  format of .df3 files (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: Bertrand
Subject: format of .df3 files
Date: 16 Feb 2014 17:40:00
Message: <web.53013dce87b4247ff093e06c0@news.povray.org>
Dear Povray community,

I am trying to write a small program in Fortran to have a density .df3 file. I
have read the different post on the topic but I still do not understand the data
that should be written in this file.
I am posting an example of what I am doing in fortran at the end of this post. I
force the unformatted file to be written in big-endian format with the
compiler.
The written data is:
header: 6 byte three times 16bit integers
data: 6 byte three times integer and one real at the end (the actual density)

in ASCII, what is written is

10 10 10    (the size of the lattice)
1 1 1 0.5d0
1 2 1 0.4d0

one value of the density per box (that you call voxel) per line. There are
several things I would like to ask.

- is it the good format ;)? (first question of course)
- what if the density has a position that can only be expressed in terms of
double precision number?
- How does povray places the density on the actual graph?

I am sorry if these questions were treated already but I could not find them but
it is the first time that I am trying something this with povray and I am really
in the mist.

Thanks a lot for your help,
Bertrand

OPEN(70,FILE=fname,action='write',status='unknown',form='unformatted',access="direct",recl=6*(3+product(dim_lat)))

      Write(70,rec=1) (dim_lat(i),i=1,3)

      do i_x=1,dim_lat(1)
       do i_y=1,dim_lat(2)
        Write(70,rec=i_y+(i_x-1)*dim_lat(2))
(Spin(k,i_x,i_y),k=1,2),1,toto(i_x,i_y)/pi(4.0d0)/surface
       enddo
      enddo
      close(70)

Post a reply to this message

Le 16/02/2014 23:38, Bertrand nous fit lire :
> Dear Povray community,
>
> I am trying to write a small program in Fortran to have a density .df3 file. I
> have read the different post on the topic but I still do not understand the data
> that should be written in this file.
> I am posting an example of what I am doing in fortran at the end of this post. I
> force the unformatted file to be written in big-endian format with the
> compiler.
> The written data is:
> header: 6 byte three times 16bit integers
> data: 6 byte three times integer and one real at the end (the actual density)
>
> in ASCII, what is written is
>
> 10 10 10    (the size of the lattice)
> 1 1 1 0.5d0
> 1 2 1 0.4d0
>
> one value of the density per box (that you call voxel) per line. There are
> several things I would like to ask.
>
> - is it the good format ;)? (first question of course)
> - what if the density has a position that can only be expressed in terms of
> double precision number?
> - How does povray places the density on the actual graph?
>
> I am sorry if these questions were treated already but I could not find them but
> it is the first time that I am trying something this with povray and I am really
> in the mist.
>
> Thanks a lot for your help,
> Bertrand

My Fortran is rusted.
The df3 reader is inside source/backend/pattern/pattern.cpp, in
Read_Density_File function (for sources of povray 3.7)

The file start with the number of sampling in each axis of a Unit cube.
These numbers are unsigned 16 bits, Most significant byte first.
Let's call them Xn, Yn and Zn.

Then there is  Xn*Yn*Zn sample values (more on that in a few lines): the
cube is explored with an external loop on Z, the intermediate on Y and
the inner on X.
There is no associated coordinates with a sample, it's implicit by the
position in the file/sequence.

do i_z = 1, Zn
 do i_y = 1, Yn
  do i_x = 1, Xn
   write single value around < (i_x-0.5)/Xn, (i_y-0.5)/Yn, (i_z-0.5)/Zn >
  enddo
 enddo
enddo

Now, about the sample value, there can either be:
 * 1 byte, unsigned
 * 2 bytes, 16 bits unsigned, most significant byte first
 * 4 bytes, 32 bits unsigned, most significant byte first
The choice is made once and for all values, and the detection uses the
total file length to recover the choice (you cannot pipe a density
file). If the file is incomplete, it's an error.

The sample value ranges from 0 to Max, but that range is transposed,
whatever the number of bits of the value, into a 0 to 1 range, as a DBL
(usually a floating point with 64 bits, 11 exponent and 52 mantissa, per
IEEE-754).

Then povray might use different interpolations when computing the actual
value of a point inside the unit-cube:
 * none : value of nearest center of cell
 * trilinear : take a cube of 8 compact cells (2x2x2) and perform linear
interpolation on the 3 axes between the 8 values. (the cube is an
hypertorus as faces wrap when near 1)
 * tricubic : take a cube of 64 compact cells (4x4x4)... (once again,
cube is rather an hypertorus)