POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.text.scene-files : negative strength blobs Server Time
18 Apr 2024 10:09:57 EDT (-0400)
  negative strength blobs (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: Mike Miller
Subject: negative strength blobs
Date: 23 Feb 2023 01:25:00
Message: <web.63f706167d062486a30d213ddabc9342@news.povray.org>
POV scene file using negative strength blobs to form cavities within the blob
definition.
Mike

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'blob_neg_pos.pov.txt' (7 KB)

From: Alain Martel
Subject: Re: negative strength blobs
Date: 23 Feb 2023 09:35:51
Message: <63f779c7$1@news.povray.org>
Le 2023-02-23 à 01:22, Mike Miller a écrit :
> POV scene file using negative strength blobs to form cavities within the blob
> definition.
> Mike

Using current POV-Ray, max_intersection is pretty much obsolete.
Then, you should use assumed_gamma 1, and set file gamma to sRGB. That
should be the default value.
No issue with lowering the ambient_light multiplier.

New with version 3.8 :
In the camera, the right vector now defaults to the aspect ratio of the
output image and can be omitted.

In the finish, with fresnel on, you need an interior statement setting
the IOR to something different than 1. Otherwise, there will be NO
reflection at all. In the present case, for M_gold_paint, using
reflection{.2 .5 metallic} would be a better option.
Then, redefine your floor like this :
//--- floor with fresnel reflection
plane { <0,1,0> 0 material{M_floor_paint}
	interior{ior 1.5}
   }

conserve_energy only work with transparent pigments. In this scene, it
have no effect as there are no transparent pigment.

Happy and good poving

Post a reply to this message

Alain Martel <kua### [at] videotronca> wrote:

> > POV scene file using negative strength blobs to form cavities within the blob
> > definition.
> > Mike
>
> Using current POV-Ray, max_intersection is pretty much obsolete.
> Then, you should use assumed_gamma 1, and set file gamma to sRGB. That
> should be the default value.
> No issue with lowering the ambient_light multiplier.
>
> New with version 3.8 :
> In the camera, the right vector now defaults to the aspect ratio of the
> output image and can be omitted.
>
> In the finish, with fresnel on, you need an interior statement setting
> the IOR to something different than 1. Otherwise, there will be NO
> reflection at all. In the present case, for M_gold_paint, using
> reflection{.2 .5 metallic} would be a better option.
> Then, redefine your floor like this :
> //--- floor with fresnel reflection
> plane { <0,1,0> 0 material{M_floor_paint}
>  interior{ior 1.5}
>    }
>
> conserve_energy only work with transparent pigments. In this scene, it
> have no effect as there are no transparent pigment.
>
> Happy and good poving

Thanks. I'll clean that up. Sorry, some of this is carry over from old files and
ignorance. :)

>>  set file gamma to sRGB
is there an output flag for sRGB? thx

Post a reply to this message

Le 2023-02-24 à 15:12, Mike Miller a écrit :
> Alain Martel <kua### [at] videotronca> wrote:
>> Le 2023-02-23 à 01:22, Mike Miller a écrit :
>>> POV scene file using negative strength blobs to form cavities within the blob
>>> definition.
>>> Mike
>>
>> Using current POV-Ray, max_intersection is pretty much obsolete.
>> Then, you should use assumed_gamma 1, and set file gamma to sRGB. That
>> should be the default value.
>> No issue with lowering the ambient_light multiplier.
>>
>> New with version 3.8 :
>> In the camera, the right vector now defaults to the aspect ratio of the
>> output image and can be omitted.
>>
>> In the finish, with fresnel on, you need an interior statement setting
>> the IOR to something different than 1. Otherwise, there will be NO
>> reflection at all. In the present case, for M_gold_paint, using
>> reflection{.2 .5 metallic} would be a better option.
>> Then, redefine your floor like this :
>> //--- floor with fresnel reflection
>> plane { <0,1,0> 0 material{M_floor_paint}
>>   interior{ior 1.5}
>>     }
>>
>> conserve_energy only work with transparent pigments. In this scene, it
>> have no effect as there are no transparent pigment.
>>
>> Happy and good poving
>

> Thanks. I'll clean that up. Sorry, some of this is carry over from old files and
> ignorance. :)
>
>>>   set file gamma to sRGB
> is there an output flag for sRGB? thx

Now, by default, POV-Ray output is of the .PNG format and include the
information telling that the image should get displayed in the sRGB
colour space. You don't need to change anything.
File gamma default to sRGB unless you change it.

Post a reply to this message

From: Mike Miller
Date: 25 Feb 2023 08:00:00
Message: <web.63fa04721817a14aa30d213ddabc9342@news.povray.org>
Alain Martel <kua### [at] videotronca> wrote:

> >> Using current POV-Ray, max_intersection is pretty much obsolete.
> >> Then, you should use assumed_gamma 1, and set file gamma to sRGB. That
> >> should be the default value.
> >> No issue with lowering the ambient_light multiplier.
> >>
> >> New with version 3.8 :
> >> In the camera, the right vector now defaults to the aspect ratio of the
> >> output image and can be omitted.
> >>
> >> In the finish, with fresnel on, you need an interior statement setting
> >> the IOR to something different than 1. Otherwise, there will be NO
> >> reflection at all. In the present case, for M_gold_paint, using
> >> reflection{.2 .5 metallic} would be a better option.
> >> Then, redefine your floor like this :
> >> //--- floor with fresnel reflection
> >> plane { <0,1,0> 0 material{M_floor_paint}
> >>   interior{ior 1.5}
> >>     }
> >>
> >> conserve_energy only work with transparent pigments. In this scene, it
> >> have no effect as there are no transparent pigment.
> >>
> >> Happy and good poving
> >

> > Thanks. I'll clean that up. Sorry, some of this is carry over from old files and
> > ignorance. :)

> > is there an output flag for sRGB? thx
> >

> Now, by default, POV-Ray output is of the .PNG format and include the
> information telling that the image should get displayed in the sRGB
> colour space. You don't need to change anything.
> File gamma default to sRGB unless you change it.

Got it, thanks.

Also, I there a way to capture an 8 bit alpha channel in rendering?

Creating a matching scene with matt objects, no lights, rendered against a
white BG is an option. I guess you could use that method with white fog to get a
'sudo' depth of field image.

Thanks for all your help!

Post a reply to this message

From: jr
Date: 25 Feb 2023 08:10:00
Message: <web.63fa079d1817a14a816b7cd96cde94f1@news.povray.org>
hi,

"Mike Miller" <mil### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> Also, I there a way to capture an 8 bit alpha channel in rendering?

<https://wiki.povray.org/content/Reference:Image_Map#The_Filter_and_Transmit_Bitmap_Modifiers>
<https://wiki.povray.org/content/Reference:File_Output_Options>

regards, jr.

Post a reply to this message

From: Mike Miller
Date: 25 Feb 2023 11:05:00
Message: <web.63fa30461817a14aa30d213ddabc9342@news.povray.org>
"jr" <cre### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> hi,
>
> "Mike Miller" <mil### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> > Also, I there a way to capture an 8 bit alpha channel in rendering?

<https://wiki.povray.org/content/Reference:Image_Map#The_Filter_and_Transmit_Bitmap_Modifiers>
> <https://wiki.povray.org/content/Reference:File_Output_Options>
>

> regards, jr.

I skipped right over the 'background' filter when looking in the help files.
Excellent - forgot about the wiki. Great help.
....and sorry about typos. :)