POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.text.scene-files : Mountains with snow preferential to shadows [revisited] Server Time
28 Mar 2024 08:32:49 EDT (-0400)
  Mountains with snow preferential to shadows [revisited] (Message 1 to 1 of 1)
From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Mountains with snow preferential to shadows [revisited]
Date: 6 Feb 2014 08:19:26
Message: <52f38bde$1@news.povray.org>
GDS|Entropy's mention of Bob Hughes in p.b.i., reminded me of a scene
from 2002/2003 which I had difficulty to make work correctly. I
revisited and made some necessary changes, especially making the extra
snow dependent on the sunlight, using sunpos.inc. There main remain
potential problems, especially with the different scaling vectors used
in the textures. However, this scene work as expected.

Beware of comments broken over several lines!

/* Justin Smith's modified pov script to try and make it seem snow is in
shadowed places. I've only rewritten this as an example which hopefully does
exactly what was intended. However, no guarantee!
                                                                Bob
Hughes */

// Persistence of Vision Ray Tracer Scene Description File
// File: mountains with snow preferential to shadows.pov
// Vers: 3.5
// Desc: mountains and snow, with more snow in shadows
// Date: 2003.833
// Auth: Justin Smith, and Bob Hughes
// adapted to sunpos and version 3.7 by Thomas de Groot (February 2014)

// Render settings (right-click on a line below):
// +w800 +h600 +a0.3 +am2 +bm2 +wt6
// +w1600 +h1200 +a0.3 +am2 +bm2 +wt6

#version 3.7;

#include "colors.inc"
#include "functions.inc"
#include "sunpos.inc"
#include "transforms.inc"

#declare Rad = on;

// See Cousin Ricky's documentation
#include "Cousin Ricky\Radiosity-pretrace\radiosity-pretrace.inc"
#declare Radiosity_Pretrace_debug = true;

global_settings {
   assumed_gamma 1.0
   #if (Rad)
   radiosity {
     //pretrace_start 0.08
     //pretrace_end   0.004
     Radiosity_Pretrace (0.1, 0.004)
     count 50, 500
     nearest_count 10, 5
     error_bound 0.6
     recursion_limit 2
     low_error_factor .3
     gray_threshold 0.0
     minimum_reuse 0.010
     maximum_reuse 0.1
     brightness 1

     adc_bailout 0.01/2
     normal off
     media off
     always_sample off
     //max_sample 1.0
   }
   #end
}

// perspective camera
camera {
   location  <0.0, 2.0, -5.0>*1000
   look_at   <0.0, 0.0,  0.0>
   right     x*image_width/image_height
   //rotate -45*y // 90 degree azimuth difference from light source
}

#declare Kelvin         = 6200; // Sun's temperature: 2800=red;
7500=blue white.
#declare SunFactor      = 2;
//NOTE: LONG/LAT conversion:
http://transition.fcc.gov/mb/audio/bickel/DDDMMSS-decimal.html
#declare SunPosition    = SunPos(2012, 12, 5, 16, 0, 25, 31.7625,
25.0888);  //year, month, day, hour(gmt), minute, +-degrees, lat, long
//note: Azimuth (Az) and Altitude (Al) are automatically declared.
#debug concat("\nSun azimuth: ",str(Az,5,3),"; Sun altitude:
",str(Al,5,3),"\n\n")

#include "CIE.inc"
#macro SunLight (Kelvin,SunFactor)
   Blackbody(Kelvin)*SunFactor
#end

light_source {
   SunPosition
   color SunLight (Kelvin,SunFactor)  // light's color
   parallel
   point_at <0, 0, 0>
}

sky_sphere {