POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : CSG Bounding box algorithm Server Time
29 Mar 2024 03:33:26 EDT (-0400)
  CSG Bounding box algorithm (Message 1 to 10 of 10)
From: Bald Eagle
Subject: CSG Bounding box algorithm
Date: 23 Aug 2017 08:10:01
Message: <web.599d7065357d842fc437ac910@news.povray.org>
Can anyone tell me if this is still the case?

From (bottom of page):
http://www.povray.org/documentation/view/3.6.0/184/

But this automatic bounding is not perfect. There are situations where a perfect
automatic bounding is very hard to calculate. One situation is the difference
and the intersection CSG operations. POV-Ray does what it can, but sometimes it
makes a pretty poor job. This can be specially seen when the resulting CSG
object is very small compared to the CSG member objects. For example:
intersection
{ sphere { <-1000,0,0>,1001 }
  sphere { <1000,0,0>,1001 }
}
(This is the same as making a difference with the second sphere inversed)
In this example the member objects extend from <-2001,-1001,-1001> to
<2001,1001,1001> although the resulting CSG object is a pretty small lens-shaped
object which is only 2 units wide in the x direction and perhaps 10 or 20 or
something wide in the y and z directions. As you can see, it is very difficult
to calculate the actual dimensions of the object (but not impossible).
In this type of cases POV-Ray makes a huge bounding box which is useless. You
should bound this kind of objects by hand (specially when the it has lots of
member objects). This can be done with the bounded_by keyword.

This didn't seem to me to be a factual representation - I believe there are some
straightforward algorithms for determining the bounding box of the intersection
for any two overlapping axis-aligned bounding boxes (AABB).
Am I wrong?

I worked out some (messy but fully functional) code to do this, and it appears
to handle the few typical cases that I tested it with.

The only tricky part was getting it handle cases outside of Quadrant I, but I
just implemented a faux-translation of the union {} of the two bounding boxes to
place its min_extent at the origin. (I add in that correction vector for the
intermediate calculations)

If this is still an issue, are there certain cases that are especially
problematic for certain CSG operations?
Could we develop this into a small, fast part of the POV-Ray source code?

Thanks

Post a reply to this message

Am 23.08.2017 um 14:09 schrieb Bald Eagle:
> Can anyone tell me if this is still the case?
>
> From (bottom of page):
> http://www.povray.org/documentation/view/3.6.0/184/
>
> But this automatic bounding is not perfect. There are situations where a perfect
> automatic bounding is very hard to calculate. One situation is the difference
> and the intersection CSG operations. POV-Ray does what it can, but sometimes it
> makes a pretty poor job. This can be specially seen when the resulting CSG
> object is very small compared to the CSG member objects. For example:
> intersection
> { sphere { <-1000,0,0>,1001 }
>   sphere { <1000,0,0>,1001 }
> }
> (This is the same as making a difference with the second sphere inversed)
> In this example the member objects extend from <-2001,-1001,-1001> to
> <2001,1001,1001> although the resulting CSG object is a pretty small lens-shaped
> object which is only 2 units wide in the x direction and perhaps 10 or 20 or
> something wide in the y and z directions. As you can see, it is very difficult
> to calculate the actual dimensions of the object (but not impossible).
> In this type of cases POV-Ray makes a huge bounding box which is useless. You
> should bound this kind of objects by hand (specially when the it has lots of
> member objects). This can be done with the bounded_by keyword.

> This didn't seem to me to be a factual representation - I believe there are some
> straightforward algorithms for determining the bounding box of the intersection
> for any two overlapping axis-aligned bounding boxes (AABB).
> Am I wrong?

Eyeballing the axis-aligned bounding box of an intersection as the
intersection of the children's axis-aligned bounding boxes is indeed
trivial, and that's why POV-Ray already does exactly that by default.

(*Well, not /totally/ exactly: When planes or quartics are involved,
POV-Ray tries to come up with tighter bounds for them by using the
b'boxes of the sibling objects as constraints.)

The problem hinted at by the docs is that sometimes this simple
algorithm gives you a bounding box far larger than necessary, and in
such cases providing a "hand-made" bounding box will increase rendering
speed.

There is no generic algorithm to compute the exact b'box of an
intersection. Each specific combination of primitives would need its own
algorithm.

> The only tricky part was getting it handle cases outside of Quadrant I, but I
> just implemented a faux-translation of the union {} of the two bounding boxes to
> place its min_extent at the origin. (I add in that correction vector for the
> intermediate calculations)

??? Why would you need special handling for the quadrants?

To compute the intersection of multiple axis-aligned b'boxes, all you
need to do is get the highest low bounds for all axes and the lowest
high bound for all axes.

> If this is still an issue, are there certain cases that are especially
> problematic for certain CSG operations?

Yes: All cases and none at all. Almost /any/ combination of primitives
can be used to come up with pathological cases.

Post a reply to this message

> Am 23.08.2017 um 14:09 schrieb Bald Eagle:
> > Can anyone tell me if this is still the case?
> >
> > From (bottom of page):
> > http://www.povray.org/documentation/view/3.6.0/184/
> >
> > But this automatic bounding is not perfect. There are situations where a perfect
> > automatic bounding is very hard to calculate. One situation is the difference
> > and the intersection CSG operations. POV-Ray does what it can, but sometimes it
> > makes a pretty poor job. This can be specially seen when the resulting CSG
> > object is very small compared to the CSG member objects.
--->8---
> > This didn't seem to me to be a factual representation - I believe there are some
> > straightforward algorithms for determining the bounding box of the intersection
> > for any two overlapping axis-aligned bounding boxes (AABB).
> > Am I wrong?
>
> Eyeballing the axis-aligned bounding box of an intersection as the
> intersection of the children's axis-aligned bounding boxes is indeed
> trivial, and that's why POV-Ray already does exactly that by default.
>
> (*Well, not /totally/ exactly: When planes or quartics are involved,
> POV-Ray tries to come up with tighter bounds for them by using the
> b'boxes of the sibling objects as constraints.)
>
> The problem hinted at by the docs is that sometimes this simple
> algorithm gives you a bounding box far larger than necessary, and in
> such cases providing a "hand-made" bounding box will increase rendering
> speed.
>
> There is no generic algorithm to compute the exact b'box of an
> intersection. Each specific combination of primitives would need its own
> algorithm.
---8<---
> > If this is still an issue, are there certain cases that are especially
> > problematic for certain CSG operations?
>
> Yes: All cases and none at all. Almost /any/ combination of primitives
> can be used to come up with pathological cases.

Interesting, as usual.

I was wondering about this after coming across something about the automatic
bounding from the version 3.5 sample scene chess2.pov while rendering some of
those old files.
Chess2 uses quartics and I changed them to isosurfaces, cone and cylinder for
the various shapes some time ago when I modified it for version 3.7.

Except for the Rook chess piece, removal of the manual bounding appears okay on
all other pieces, and the reason I remember commenting that out for v3.5 was
because of improvements for automatic bounding made back then.
You know, progress; so was thinking move ahead and leave manual bounding behind
if at all possible.

No idea how the malformed Rook was overlooked, if it always was, and I'm unable
to run version 3.5 right now to check on it from there so I can only look at it
from 3.7 with version setting of 3.5. At least the bounded_by { sphere { <0, 5,
0>, 5.831 } } is still there allowing uncommenting as a fix.

According to what is said here, I suppose that particular CSG object must be a
problem due to the intersecting planes and quartics (infinite shapes). And
curiously, for me anyhow, is that the deformation changes depending on
orientation or camera view. From chess2.pov:

#version 3.5;

#include "shapes.inc"

#declare Cylinder_Y =
 quadric
  {<1, 0, 1>,
   <0, 0, 0>,
   <0, 0, 0>, -1
  }

#declare Rook = union {
   intersection {
      union {
         plane { +x, -0.5 }
         plane { -x, -0.5 }
         plane { y, 9 }
      }

      union {
         plane { +z, -0.5 }
         plane { -z, -0.5 }
         plane { y, 9 }
      }

      plane { y, 10 }
      object { Cylinder_Y scale <2, 1, 2> }
      object { Cylinder_Y scale <1.2, 1, 1.2> inverse }
      plane { -y, -8 }
   }

   intersection {
      plane { y, 8 }
      object { Hyperboloid_Y
         scale <1, 1.5, 1>
         translate 5.401924*y
      }
      plane { -y, -3 }
   }

   sphere { <0, 0, 0>, 1
      scale <2.5, 0.5, 2.5>
      translate 2.8*y
   }

//   object { PieceBase }
}

#declare WRook = object {
   Rook

   // bounded_by { sphere { <0, 5, 0>, 5.831 } }

   texture {
     // WWood
      pigment { rgb 1 }
   }