POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : truncated spheres Server Time
17 Apr 2024 21:30:36 EDT (-0400)
  truncated spheres (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: dragonmage
Subject: truncated spheres
Date: 20 Mar 2007 20:25:03
Message: <web.4600885280e10529add0a3280@news.povray.org>
Hi, I have been testing the effects of translating a scene (including
viewpoints and lights in the local scene) away from the origin.

When I get to around 1million units, spheres get truncated in a strange way:
they are drawn either hemispherical or quarter spherical. Looking at
Spheres.cpp gives me no clue as to the cause - nothing obvious.

The truncation is not z buffer clipping or due to other objects in the scene
(a plane) as far as I can determine. I suspect that the displacement is
introducing enough error into the program that some part of the
calculations do not render some quarters of the spheres.

Anyone have insight into the actual part of the calculation that is failing?

Image and pov file are here:

http://www.planet-earth.org/SpheresStressTest1Mil.pov
http://www.planet-earth.org/SpheresStressTest1Mil.jpg

Post a reply to this message

> Hi, I have been testing the effects of translating a scene (including
> viewpoints and lights in the local scene) away from the origin.

Your question has been answered by a couple of people in the Advanced
group, where you originally posted.

...Chambers

Post a reply to this message

Chambers <ben### [at] pacificwebguycom> wrote:
> dragonmage wrote:
> > Hi, I have been testing the effects of translating a scene (including
> > viewpoints and lights in the local scene) away from the origin.
>
> Your question has been answered by a couple of people in the Advanced
> group, where you originally posted.
>
> ...Chambers

No - they were all guesses, and some were contradicted by others.
This group looks more appropriate for questions on code so I posted here.

chris

Post a reply to this message

> No - they were all guesses, and some were contradicted by others.
> This group looks more appropriate for questions on code so I posted here.

Thorsten is one of the main developers of POV-Ray, so you should trust
his answer.  My answer was a guess, of course.

...Chambers

Post a reply to this message