POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Refraction Server Time
23 Apr 2024 20:43:35 EDT (-0400)
  Refraction (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: mc
Subject: Refraction
Date: 5 Dec 2007 19:59:20
Message: <47574968$1@news.povray.org>
Hi,

I'm not sure I understand how it's treated so please enlighten me.  Looking
at the code, it seems to me that there's a "problem" in the determination of
refracted rays.

Say you have a glass filled with water as per lousy diagram below
      +-------+      air
      |      |+----------------+
      |      ||                |
air  | glass ||    water      |
      |      ||                |
      |      |+----------------+
      |      +------------------

      +--------------------------

Say a ray is shot from the right side.
a) ray starts in the air and hits the side of the glass. Ray_Enter() will
add "glass" to the list of traversed media. A refracted "air/glass" ray is
spawned
b) the refracted ray from (a) will hit the "other" of the glass, in other
words it exits the glass. Glass is removed from the "stack" by Ray_Exit().
A new refracted ray is spawned.

Where I'm not sure I got it straight is that it looks like the refracted ray
in b) is going to be "glass/air" instead of "glass/water" as we don't know
yet that water will be hit.

Comments are most welcome.

Best regards,

MC

Post a reply to this message

> Where I'm not sure I got it straight is that it looks like the
> refracted ray in b) is going to be "glass/air" instead of
> "glass/water" as we don't know yet that water will be hit.

From a modelling point of view, to get a better visual result, modell
the water so it slightly overlaps the glass, no air gap between the
two.

A solution in the POV-Ray source was once posted by Ron Parker in
comp.graphics.rendering.raytracing. Couldn't find is posting with a
quick search...

ingo

Post a reply to this message