POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : Run external code from Server Time
29 Mar 2024 04:13:18 EDT (-0400)
  Run external code from (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: H  Karsten
Subject: Run external code from
Date: 18 Apr 2010 15:50:01
Message: <web.4bcb6128e027238bdec81f370@news.povray.org>
ok it's possible to run external code before and/or after the rendering in
PovRay.

What if having a syntax to run it from inside the script like a macro

#declare Result=external_code_lua("Path/Name",Arguments)
#declare Result=external_code_python("Path/Name",Arguments)
#declare Result=external_code_php("Path/Name",Arguments)
#declare Result=external_code_perl("Path/Name",Arguments)
#declare Result=external_code_java("Path/Name",Arguments)
#declare Result=external_code_bin("Path/Name",Arguments) (using stdout as
return-value)

- to run an external code, then convert it's information into CSV
- calculate big amounts of values faster, like convert PCM(PackedMesh) back into
mech or mesh2
- making SDS externally and much faster (a thing, that can become _very_ slow in
PovRay)
- converting NURBS into Mesh or Patches
- having excess to hardware, not available from Pov-script
- making Pov-script interactive (like making a 80s-like adventure-game with
PovRay) (ok, for this PovRay would also need to have the option to run in an
infinite loop then, or you start PovRay with your script or .ini-file as
post-command from PovRay... I never tried this!)

Think of it: depending on the language using, you can make PovRay
object-orientated!

From my personal taste, I would like to use Lua. It's designed to be used inside
other programs, or scripts. It's object-orientated, fast, free, opencource (I
think its MIT-License) and small.

If it's to complicate to program this, still a "bin"-call would be cool enough
to make extreme nice things.

Best regards,
Holger

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'rendering.jpg' (26 KB)

Preview of image 'rendering.jpg'
rendering.jpg

Am 18.04.2010 21:44, schrieb H. Karsten:
> ok it's possible to run external code before and/or after the rendering in
> PovRay.
>
> What if having a syntax to run it from inside the script like a macro
>
> #declare Result=external_code_lua("Path/Name",Arguments)
> #declare Result=external_code_python("Path/Name",Arguments)
> #declare Result=external_code_php("Path/Name",Arguments)
> #declare Result=external_code_perl("Path/Name",Arguments)
> #declare Result=external_code_java("Path/Name",Arguments)
> #declare Result=external_code_bin("Path/Name",Arguments) (using stdout as
> return-value)
> Think of it: depending on the language using, you can make PovRay
> object-orientated!
>
>  From my personal taste, I would like to use Lua. It's designed to be used inside
> other programs, or scripts. It's object-orientated, fast, free, opencource (I
> think its MIT-License) and small.

Would there still be a big benefit in that, presuming the POV-Ray 4 SDL
itself would be object-oriented and as fast as Lua or some such in the
first place (which I consider a prime goal for POV-Ray 4)?

Post a reply to this message