POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : Dithered output Server Time
20 Apr 2024 10:52:42 EDT (-0400)
  Dithered output (Message 1 to 10 of 10)
From: scott
Subject: Dithered output
Date: 22 Oct 2008 09:44:36
Message: <48ff2e44@news.povray.org>
Does anyone else think it would be a good idea to have an option to produce
dithered output?  If your scene consists of colour gradients between two
close colours, or two greys, even in 24bpp format you can often still see
"banding".  Using some sort of dithering scheme in the output would vastly
improve images like this, and would be quite simple to implement.  I just
wonder how the dithering would be handled across block borders between
different threads, maybe the thread stores float/double precision pixels and
then the final "block assembler/file writer" code will perform the dithering
on the whole image?

Just an idea.

Post a reply to this message

> Does anyone else think it would be a good idea to have an option to
> produce dithered output?  If your scene consists of colour gradients
> between two close colours, or two greys, even in 24bpp format you can
> often still see "banding".  Using some sort of dithering scheme in the
> output would vastly improve images like this, and would be quite simple
> to implement.  I just wonder how the dithering would be handled across
> block borders between different threads, maybe the thread stores
> float/double precision pixels and then the final "block assembler/file
> writer" code will perform the dithering on the whole image?
>
> Just an idea.

I think crand can accomplish this, although it isn't applied scene-wide, but to
specific textures.

Post a reply to this message

This sounds like something you could write with a generic post-processing
script (which future versions of POV-Ray should and will most probably
support).

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message