POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : POV Publishing Server Time
29 Mar 2024 09:32:09 EDT (-0400)
  POV Publishing (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: Mr
Subject: POV Publishing
Date: 25 Jan 2021 09:50:07
Message: <web.600ed9afe4da5e6616086ed00@news.povray.org>
Hello,

I just came across some book publisher named "POV publishing".
What made it more noticeable is that they subtitled themselves : Persistence of
Vision Publishing : https://www.pov-publishing.com/

I haven't found the exact date of their creation to gather if it was before the
Persistence of Vision Raytracer or the other way around, but one of their oldest
time stamps is 2019.

I know "POV Whatever" must come out quite frequently, as POV is after all a
generic and transversal acronym. Reduced number of letters does increase
probabilty of occurences... But the very exact same subtitle pun reads like the
chances of one not taking naming inspiration on the other would be very thin.

Maybe that kind of thing is no issue at all, but a least a subject to share some
feelings on our beloved renderer's public identity :-)

Post a reply to this message

> I just came across some book publisher named "POV publishing".
> What made it more noticeable is that they subtitled themselves : Persistence of
> Vision Publishing : https://www.pov-publishing.com/
>
> I haven't found the exact date of their creation to gather if it was before the
> Persistence of Vision Raytracer or the other way around, but one of their oldest
> time stamps is 2019.
>
> I know "POV Whatever" must come out quite frequently, as POV is after all a
> generic and transversal acronym. Reduced number of letters does increase
> probabilty of occurences... But the very exact same subtitle pun reads like the
> chances of one not taking naming inspiration on the other would be very thin.
>
> Maybe that kind of thing is no issue at all, but a least a subject to share some
> feelings on our beloved renderer's public identity :-)

Should this not be a copyright issue? Depends if "POV" is a protected
name. Chris certainly knows best.

--
Thomas