POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : whither POV-Ray ?? Server Time
19 Apr 2024 23:25:33 EDT (-0400)
  whither POV-Ray ?? (Message 138 to 147 of 157)
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: whither POV-Ray ??
Date: 11 Aug 2020 11:46:42
Message: <5f32bd62$1@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 11 Aug 2020 08:31:42 +0200, Thomas de Groot wrote:

>> Text / html in the usual sort of post would be good, but also maybe
>> exporting it to a PDF so it can be individually downloaded and archived
>> might be a good idea as well.  It would also look pretty professional,
>> and outside sites could link to the PDF thus generating traffic to -
>> HERE.
>>

> PDF would be most excellent indeed. It is the medium I most often use to
> produce and/or archive texts myself.

I don't entirely disagree, but PDF is not an open format, so from a "free
software" perspective, would be strongly discouraged IIRC.  Providing it
in a format that could be published in multiple formats, OTOH, would be a
really good solution.

On Tue, 11 Aug 2020 11:46:42 -0400, Jim Henderson wrote:

> On Tue, 11 Aug 2020 08:31:42 +0200, Thomas de Groot wrote:
>
>>> Text / html in the usual sort of post would be good, but also maybe
>>> exporting it to a PDF so it can be individually downloaded and
>>> archived might be a good idea as well.  It would also look pretty
>>> professional, and outside sites could link to the PDF thus generating
>>> traffic to - HERE.
>>>

>> PDF would be most excellent indeed. It is the medium I most often use
>> to produce and/or archive texts myself.
>
> I don't entirely disagree, but PDF is not an open format, so from a
> "free software" perspective, would be strongly discouraged IIRC.
> Providing it in a format that could be published in multiple formats,
> OTOH, would be a really good solution.

ePub would probably be a better choice, since that standard is completely
open.

> > I don't entirely disagree, but PDF is not an open format, so from a
> > "free software" perspective, would be strongly discouraged IIRC.
> > Providing it in a format that could be published in multiple formats,
> > OTOH, would be a really good solution.
>
> ePub would probably be a better choice, since that standard is completely
> open.

https://extensions.libreoffice.org/en/extensions/show/writer2epub

done.

Post a reply to this message

On Tue, 11 Aug 2020 13:19:23 -0400, Bald Eagle wrote:

>> > I don't entirely disagree, but PDF is not an open format, so from a
>> > "free software" perspective, would be strongly discouraged IIRC.
>> > Providing it in a format that could be published in multiple formats,
>> > OTOH, would be a really good solution.
>>
>> ePub would probably be a better choice, since that standard is
>> completely open.
>
> https://extensions.libreoffice.org/en/extensions/show/writer2epub
>
> done.

Excellent :)

On 11.08.2020 17:46, Jim Henderson wrote:
> I don't entirely disagree, but PDF is not an open format, so from a "free
> software" perspective, would be strongly discouraged IIRC.  Providing it
> in a format that could be published in multiple formats, OTOH, would be a
> really good solution.

Actually, PDF is an ISO standard and even usable for archive purposes.

Thorsten

Post a reply to this message

On Tue, 11 Aug 2020 21:14:13 +0200, Thorsten wrote:

> On 11.08.2020 17:46, Jim Henderson wrote:
>> I don't entirely disagree, but PDF is not an open format, so from a
>> "free software" perspective, would be strongly discouraged IIRC.
>> Providing it in a format that could be published in multiple formats,
>> OTOH, would be a really good solution.
>
> Actually, PDF is an ISO standard and even usable for archive purposes.

Yeah, I know it can be used that way, but its history makes it somewhat
less suitable for some OSS projects and implementations.  While we
wouldn't use signing or forms (for example), those implementations are
highly proprietary and only supported by Adobe.