POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : vrml Server Time
29 Mar 2024 02:50:57 EDT (-0400)
  vrml (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: jr
Subject: vrml
Date: 17 Oct 2019 09:00:00
Message: <web.5da86553ac32a4fbfeeb22ff0@news.povray.org>
hi,

the attached archive contains an example of the POV-Ray -> VRML stuff I've
embarked on, at this stage that is the conversion of DF3 data to an equivalent
VRML PointSet.

the DF3s were created from a single image ('lion.png'), and are therefore
unusual in that they're "thin".  good enough for test data though.

an unpublished utility was used to convert the DF3s to a VRML prototype (node),
and stored in 'lion.wrl'; a prototype is a custom node which is useful when
multiple copies of some object are needed, and help with organising stuff akin
to a library.

'lion.wrl' is stand-alone, but I've added another file, 'lion-rotate.wrl', which
does what it says on the tin, displaying and rotating the data read from
'lion.wrl'.  open either file from your VR browser of choice.

wrt the 'spiral' conversion, found it now:
<https://news.povray.org/povray.text.scene-files/thread/%3Cweb.5d8bd6a7e84f6fc6feeb22ff0%40news.povray.org%3E/>

also, VRML offers a 'IndexFaceSet' node type which could easily be used to
represent POV-Ray meshes, that's something I'll be looking at soon (fingers
crossed).

regards, jr.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'lion.tar.xz.dat' (28 KB)

> wrt the 'spiral' conversion, found it now:

quickly cobbled together a 'spiral-rotate.wrl', to illustrate (ease of) reuse.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'spiral-rotate.wrl.dat' (1 KB)