POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Re: Through the Eyes of a Child - Christmas 2019 release Server Time
29 Mar 2024 07:04:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Through the Eyes of a Child - Christmas 2019 release (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: Dick Balaska
Subject: Re: Through the Eyes of a Child - Christmas 2019 release
Date: 12 Dec 2019 16:59:45
Message: <5df2b851$1@news.povray.org>
Am 12/12/19 1:59 PM, also sprach jr:

> (very US of A.  you enter an empty house and find the TV is on.  :-))

One of my defining moments:

I was living in Zürich.  One night my native buddy and I were out.  We
stopped at Wang Labs, his old job, where apparently the janitor was the
big hash dealer.  He left me in the car and proceeded to wander around a
14 story building looking for the dude.  After, oh, 45 minutes, I was
cold and I turned on the car for some heat (Zürich in winter).  About
that time he came out and started yelling at me.

Markus: "Only an *American* would run a car when it's not going anywhere!"
Me: "It's fucking cold!"
Him: "That's why there's a blanket in the back!  They're not making any
more dinosaurs. And you're polluting the air for no reason!"

So, "they're not making any more dinosaurs" became one of my mantras.  I
turn my car off in line at the McDonald's drive-thru.

--
dik
Rendered 49,882,521,600 of 49,882,521,600 pixels (100%)

Post a reply to this message

Dick Balaska <dic### [at] buckosoftcom> wrote:
> Am 12/12/19 1:59 PM, also sprach jr:
> One of my defining moments:
>
> I was living in Zürich.  One night my native buddy and I were out.  We
> stopped at Wang Labs, his old job, where apparently the janitor was the
> big hash dealer.  He left me in the car and proceeded to wander around a
> 14 story building looking for the dude.  After, oh, 45 minutes, I was
> cold and I turned on the car for some heat (Zürich in winter).  About
> that time he came out and started yelling at me.
>
> Markus: "Only an *American* would run a car when it's not going anywhere!"
> Me: "It's fucking cold!"
> Him: "That's why there's a blanket in the back!  They're not making any
> more dinosaurs. And you're polluting the air for no reason!"

:-)

> So, "they're not making any more dinosaurs" became one of my mantras.

too like it.

> I turn my car off in line at the McDonald's drive-thru.

you have to manually turn off/on the engine?  here, over the past few years,
more and more vehicles switch off the motor automatically when halting (eg when
waiting at lights, etc).  (nonsense I think because emissions when starting are
high, so a few sec's idling probably pollutes less than constant off/on cycling)

regards, jr.

Post a reply to this message

> you have to manually turn off/on the engine?  here, over the past few years,
> more and more vehicles switch off the motor automatically when halting (eg when
> waiting at lights, etc).  (nonsense I think because emissions when starting are
> high, so a few sec's idling probably pollutes less than constant off/on cycling)

I have not seen any car do this.  I think, if you start the car without
stepping on the gas, the extra emissions are nominal.

--
dik
Rendered 49,882,521,600 of 49,882,521,600 pixels (100%)

Post a reply to this message

> Dick Balaska <dic### [at] buckosoftcom> wrote:

> > Markus: "Only an *American* would run a car when it's not going anywhere!"
> > Me: "It's fucking cold!"
> > Him: "That's why there's a blanket in the back!  They're not making any
> > more dinosaurs. And you're polluting the air for no reason!"
>
> :-)
>

> > So, "they're not making any more dinosaurs" became one of my mantras.
>
> too like it.
>

> > I turn my car off in line at the McDonald's drive-thru.

https://www.thoughtco.com/oil-comes-from-dinosaurs-fact-or-fiction-3980636
https://www.thoughtco.com/does-oil-come-from-dinosaurs-1092003

https://www.quora.com/Is-the-oil-we-are-burning-today-the-corpses-of-dinosaurs

So, it's likely plankton, algae, whatever that was the source.

There are also claims that oil isn't from biological sources at all, but is
truly a mineral deposit of sorts.

https://rense.com/general67/oils.htm

Given that they've determined that there's a VAST amount of polycyclic aromatic
hydrocarbons out there in space, that seems less far fetched than I thought it
was when I initially read about it.

There's also biodiesel, synthetic photosynthesis, and lots of other technologies
to provide us with fuel.

The biggest driving force I see in destroying - anything - is taxes.   If you
could own your own property, create real wealth, and purchase durable goods and
hand down the things accumulated over one's life to the next generation, you
wouldn't have to constantly be driving all over creation to work.

You could have time to cultivate your own land and eat real healthy food - from
plants that - hey - absorb CO2 from the atmosphere as their food source.

You could build really good quality well insulated houses that "net zero" and
need minimal to no heating, because --- you wouldn't have property taxes when
you built something like that.   And you wouldn't be any disincentive to build
such a thing because you wouldn't be in any danger of losing your property
because you'd OWN it.

If people weren't perpetually in need of making MORE money to pay de facto rent
and tribute to the real criminals on the planet, we could invest in making good
quality durable goods instead of cheap disposable plastic crap that's part of
the planned obsolescence program.  No one makes anything GOOD anymore, because
where's the profit?   Why doe I constantly have to make more profit?   To pay my
damned taxes - because those NEVER end.

and on and on and on.

Post a reply to this message

>> you have to manually turn off/on the engine?  here, over the past few
>> years,
>> more and more vehicles switch off the motor automatically when halting
>> (eg when
>> waiting at lights, etc).  (nonsense I think because emissions when
>> starting are
>> high, so a few sec's idling probably pollutes less than constant
>> off/on cycling)
>>

> I have not seen any car do this.

It's mostly luxury cars, because they tend to have gas-guzzling V8s (or
even V12s!), or hybrids, because... hybrids.

I think, if you start the car without
> stepping on the gas, the extra emissions are nominal.

If the engine is warm, there's no big difference in emissions.