POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : LAB, LUV, etc. Server Time
19 Apr 2024 17:09:36 EDT (-0400)
  LAB, LUV, etc. (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Mike Horvath
Subject: LAB, LUV, etc.
Date: 28 Jul 2018 05:25:52
Message: <5b5c36a0$1@news.povray.org>
I clearly see the benefits of color models like LAB and LUV in image
compression and computer vision. But why should artists care?

I mean, musicians have been doing their work for centuries without
knowing anything about audio compression, MP3, etc.

Mike

Post a reply to this message

Am 28.07.2018 um 11:26 schrieb Mike Horvath:
> I clearly see the benefits of color models like LAB and LUV in image
> compression and computer vision. But why should artists care?

If you're an artist and happy with the tools you have, there's indeed no
reason to.

If you're a computer artist and the tools you have don't do what you
expect them to do, knowing about colour models may help you a lot to
understand how you can put your tools to better use.

Post a reply to this message

> Am 28.07.2018 um 11:26 schrieb Mike Horvath:
>> I clearly see the benefits of color models like LAB and LUV in image
>> compression and computer vision. But why should artists care?
>
> If you're an artist and happy with the tools you have, there's indeed no
> reason to.
>
> If you're a computer artist and the tools you have don't do what you
> expect them to do, knowing about colour models may help you a lot to
> understand how you can put your tools to better use.

My point is more along the lines of, psychoacoustics may be great for
designing ATRAC or other compression schemes, but the note C will remain
C and A will remain A.

Mike