POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Processing power is not always what sells, it seems Server Time
29 Sep 2024 13:28:05 EDT (-0400)
  Processing power is not always what sells, it seems (Message 1 to 10 of 85)
From: Warp
Subject: Processing power is not always what sells, it seems
Date: 9 Jul 2009 08:40:37
Message: <4a55e545@news.povray.org>
Somehow it seems that Nintendo has understood some basic truth about
computing: It's not processing power that sells. Consider this:

  Xbox 360: Triple-core CPU at 3.2 GHz, 512 MB of RAM.
  Units sold: 30 million.

  PS3: A 3.2 GHz Cell microprocessor, which consists of one PowerPC-based
core and six SPE cores, 256 MB of RAM.
  Units sold: 22 million.

  Nintendo Wii: A single-core CPU at 729 MHz, 88 MB of RAM.
  Units sold: 50 million.

  PlayStation Portable: 333 MHz CPU, 32 MB of RAM (plus 2 MB of GPU RAM).
  Units sold: 50 million.

  Nintendo DS: A 67 MHz main CPU and a 33 MHz coprocessor, 4 MB of RAM.
  Units sold: 100 million.

  On a different note, North-American release of:

NES: 1985 (1986 in Canada)
SNES: 1991
N64: 1996
GameCube: 2001
Wii: 2006

  Do we see a pattern here?-)

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

>   Somehow it seems that Nintendo has understood some basic truth about
> computing: It's not processing power that sells.

Depends who you're selling to.

A basic thruth might be that it's what you can do with the device that
sells - and for "typical" uses, more processing power usually means you
can do more stuff. But not always...

> Consider this:
>
>   Xbox 360: Triple-core CPU at 3.2 GHz, 512 MB of RAM.
>   Units sold: 30 million.
>
>   PS3: A 3.2 GHz Cell microprocessor, which consists of one PowerPC-based
> core and six SPE cores, 256 MB of RAM.
>   Units sold: 22 million.
>
>   Nintendo Wii: A single-core CPU at 729 MHz, 88 MB of RAM.
>   Units sold: 50 million.
>

>   PlayStation Portable: 333 MHz CPU, 32 MB of RAM (plus 2 MB of GPU RAM).
>   Units sold: 50 million.
>
>   Nintendo DS: A 67 MHz main CPU and a 33 MHz coprocessor, 4 MB of RAM.
>   Units sold: 100 million.

I would suggest cost might be a factor too. ;-)

A Fiat Punto is a rubbish car, but they sell way more of those than
(say) the Ferrari Enzo. [The Enzo might also be rubbish, I don't know...]

Post a reply to this message

> I would suggest cost might be a factor too. ;-)

> A Fiat Punto is a rubbish car, but they sell way more of those than
> (say) the Ferrari Enzo. [The Enzo might also be rubbish, I don't know...]

  Except that the PSP and the DS cost about the same. I haven't followed
the pricing of the other consoles, though.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

>> I would suggest cost might be a factor too. ;-)
>
>> A Fiat Punto is a rubbish car, but they sell way more of those than
>> (say) the Ferrari Enzo. [The Enzo might also be rubbish, I don't know...]
>
>   Except that the PSP and the DS cost about the same. I haven't followed
> the pricing of the other consoles, though.

Hmm, interesting.

Of course, being consoles, game availability is probably a big deal
too... [I haven't followed this either.] A console with no games is a
very expensive paper weight.

Post a reply to this message