POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The most dangerous species of all Server Time
29 Sep 2024 19:22:04 EDT (-0400)
  The most dangerous species of all (Message 1 to 10 of 104)
From: Warp
Subject: The most dangerous species of all
Date: 30 Apr 2009 10:19:01
Message: <49f9b354@news.povray.org>
I am somewhat fascinated with the coelacanth fish. This family of fish
is a true survivor: It has survived for something like 360 million years
and has withstood basically everything nature has thrown at it, including
several ice ages and at least three mass extinction events (including the
Permian-Triassic extinction event which killed off about 96% of all marine
species of the time). It's one of the oldest families of animals with living
specimens today. Where basically everything else was killed by natural
disasters and mass extinction events, the coelacanth was unscathed.

  Then enter the most powerful natural disaster of them all: Humans.

  Thanks to humans the coecalanth is critically endangered and bordering
extinction. There are some species of coecalanth that have an estimated
less than 500 specimens alive, and dropping.

  Forget about mass extinction events, meteors smashing the Earth, ice
ages and other massive natural disasters. Leave it to humans to kill off
even the toughest of survivors.

  It's sad, really. Maybe the only consolation is that we will eventually
kill ourselves in the same way we are killing other animals, so after we
go extinct maybe other animals will once again have the chance to survive
the milder natural disasters such as ginormous meteorite impacts and other
astronomical events.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

>  Then enter the most powerful natural disaster of them all: Humans.
>
>  Thanks to humans the coecalanth is critically endangered

Why do you think it is because of humans?  Populations of species go up and
down pretty violently even without human involvement:

http://www.geo.arizona.edu/Antevs/nats104/00lect21lynxhare.gif

Does a similar graph for coecalanth exist?

Post a reply to this message