POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Another C++ question Server Time
29 Sep 2024 19:18:57 EDT (-0400)
  Another C++ question (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Darren New
Subject: Another C++ question
Date: 8 Mar 2009 13:39:30
Message: <49b402d2$1@news.povray.org>
On loading classes from a DLL...

I'm assuming if you want to use a different class at runtime depending on
something a user types in (for example), what you need to do is...

1) Declare class Alpha with a bunch of virtual functions to do what you want
in the main program.

2) Declare class Beta that inherits from Alpha in the DLL, implementing
those virtual functions appropriately.

3) Declare a global function that returns pointers/references to instances
of Beta in the DLL.

[repeat 2 and 3 for each class you might want to use as a child of Alpha]

4) Declare some sort of forward reference to the global function in (3) that
gets filled in by loading the DLL (i.e., the dynamic linking part).

At runtime, load the correct DLL based on what the user typed, then invoke
the global function and assign the result to a reference/pointer to Alpha.

Is that how you'd do dynamic code loading in C++? Or is there a better way?
In particular, I'm assuming any code that actually instantiates a Beta is
going to have to be in the same DLL that defines Beta, and that the main
program can't actually refer to Beta if the main program gets compiled
before the DLL gets written?

I'm thinking things like (say) editor macros, or "plug ins", or "stored
procedures", or something like that, where you'd want to be able to load
code at runtime that was written after the main routine was compiled.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)