POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.object-collection : Browser issues with Search page Server Time
28 Mar 2024 12:42:16 EDT (-0400)
  Browser issues with Search page (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: Chris B
Subject: Browser issues with Search page
Date: 21 Nov 2008 06:57:26
Message: <4926a226@news.povray.org>
I've updated the Search/Browse page
http://lib.povray.org/searchcollection/index.php on the POV-Ray Object
Collection to attempt to circumvent a Firefox issue. I've tested this fix
with Firefox 2.0.0.18 and IE 7.0.6001.1800 on Windows Vista and they seems
to work ok. I'm hoping my fix doesn't cause problems on other platforms that
I can't test on. If anyone gets a problem resulting from this, please post a
response on this thread.

The original problem was that, with Firefox 2.0.0.18 (the autoupdate from
13th November 2008), pressing the Search/Browse button displayed a category
box in the results panel but no actual results.

Techie stuff:
Firefox 2.0.0.18 contains what seems to be an AJAX bug where, under certain
conditions (with certain Plugins installed) the XMLHttpRequest object only
ever returns a readystate of 3 (loading) and never goes to 4 (complete). The
only page on the Object Collection that seemed to be affected was the main
Search/Browse page which uses AJAX to display the search results.
The Thumbnails page was unaffected as it's a Javascript free page.

I've updated the page to work around the problem by processing all
ReadyState 3 responses, which could theoretically cause flickering while

Regards,
Chris B.

Post a reply to this message