POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.object-collection : Plants collection Server Time
25 Apr 2024 14:00:39 EDT (-0400)
  Plants collection (Message 10 to 19 of 19)
From: yesbird
Subject: Re: Plants collection
Date: 20 Feb 2023 13:48:49
Message: <049d5562-e59e-42fd-f923-526eaa049d1b@gmail.com>
> What i would be tempted to do is use the software to create the plant, and then
> dissect it into its component pieces.
You are right - this is the main task, unfortunately I have no access to
sources of LS to make export properly and do grouping by plant parts,
so some manual work should be done, I'm only trying to minimize it.
--
YB

Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 21 Feb 2023 02:21:46
Message: <63f4710a$1@news.povray.org>
Op 20/02/2023 om 18:32 schreef yesbird:
> As you can see here groups are not exactly reflects plant's structure.
> --
> YB

Indeed, and I am afraid that each different plant (I do not mean within
the /Gaillardia_pulchella/ bunch) may show a different grouping
arrangement which would need a different approach in the worst case.
However, this petal grouping reduces work somewhat ;-]

--
Thomas

Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 21 Feb 2023 02:40:30
Message: <63f4756e$1@news.povray.org>
Op 20/02/2023 om 18:21 schreef yesbird:
> Thanks, Thomas, you give me a good idea about reducing manual work,
> analysis of groups and regrouping can help to do it.
>
> May be I will write script to assign different materials to groups
> and then merge them. I need to know more about OBJ format for that.

Are there other formats than OBJ you could export to? Sometimes that may
help circumvent the problem.

> But autocolorizing still interesting to me. For example, what if I want
> to highlight edges or peaks of the complex mesh with selected color ?
> Will try to dig into this problem ...

That would be interesting to try but...

Each mesh is a single closed (?) unit and ideally you would need some
way to recognise those 'peaks' of 'edges'. In a well-behaved model those
would be already textured in the MTL corresponding file or - in more
elaborate models - uv_mapped on the mesh. Again, can be done at some
pain, but with the help of a modeller afaik. I have done that kind of
work at great pain for some downloaded models I wanted absolutely to
tweak in my favour, and it took me days and sometimes weeks to achieve
properly. Inflammation of your arm and neck joints, and muscle pain may
be your unlooked for reward too... :-/

--
Thomas

Post a reply to this message

From: yesbird
Date: 21 Feb 2023 07:17:04
Message: <499ba31e-1860-1433-672e-1a72e1e96d78@gmail.com>
Inflammation of your arm and neck joints, and muscle pain may
> be your unlooked for reward too... :-/
This is exactly what I want avoid, when talking about algorithmic
methods... )))
--
YB

Post a reply to this message

From: yesbird
Date: 21 Feb 2023 07:29:14
Message: <7a4d7033-1807-dc1e-6bcc-ae26bc60f274@gmail.com>
> Indeed, and I am afraid that each different plant (I do not mean within
> the /Gaillardia_pulchella/ bunch) may show a different grouping
> arrangement which would need a different approach in the worst case.
> However, this petal grouping reduces work somewhat ;-]
Last night I found optimal solution for growing plants:
https://github.com/wdiestel/arbaro
This is implementation of ideas in attached paper, works fine, but
written in Java (I hate it). It has a simpler plant structure
description, than L-systems.

Now I'm looking for this editor, but still can't find it:
http://povray.tashcorp.net/tutorials/qd_povtree/
--
YB

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'p119-weber.pdf' (2163 KB)

From: kurtz le pirate
Date: 21 Feb 2023 11:03:52
Message: <63f4eb68$1@news.povray.org>
On 21/02/2023 13:28, yesbird wrote:
>> Indeed, and I am afraid that each different plant (I do not mean within
>> the /Gaillardia_pulchella/ bunch) may show a different grouping
>> arrangement which would need a different approach in the worst case.
>> However, this petal grouping reduces work somewhat ;-]
> Last night I found optimal solution for growing plants:
> https://github.com/wdiestel/arbaro
> This is implementation of ideas in attached paper, works fine, but
> written in Java (I hate it). It has a simpler plant structure
> description, than L-systems.
>
> Now I'm looking for this editor, but still can't find it:
> http://povray.tashcorp.net/tutorials/qd_povtree/
> --
> YB

There is also <http://ngplant.org/>

With some explanations and example here :
<http://louisbel.free.fr/macros/ngplant/ngplant.html>

--
Kurtz le pirate
Compagnie de la Banquise

Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 21 Feb 2023 11:07:00
Message: <63f4ec24$1@news.povray.org>
Op 21-2-2023 om 13:28 schreef yesbird:
>> Indeed, and I am afraid that each different plant (I do not mean
>> within the /Gaillardia_pulchella/ bunch) may show a different grouping
>> arrangement which would need a different approach in the worst case.
>> However, this petal grouping reduces work somewhat ;-]
> Last night I found optimal solution for growing plants:
> https://github.com/wdiestel/arbaro
> This is implementation of ideas in attached paper, works fine, but
> written in Java (I hate it). It has a simpler plant structure
> description, than L-systems.

I use Arbaro once in a while. Didn't Friedrich Lohmueller provide a
small collection of trees he made with it?

> Now I'm looking for this editor, but still can't find it:
> http://povray.tashcorp.net/tutorials/qd_povtree/

As said elsewhere, I shall look in my archive tomorrow.

--
Thomas

Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 21 Feb 2023 11:07:36
Message: <63f4ec48$1@news.povray.org>
Op 21-2-2023 om 13:17 schreef yesbird:
> Inflammation of your arm and neck joints, and muscle pain may
>> be your unlooked for reward too... :-/
> This is exactly what I want avoid, when talking about algorithmic
> methods... )))

Of course. :-)

--
Thomas

Post a reply to this message

From: yesbird
Date: 21 Feb 2023 12:34:40
Message: <0854e48d-0e38-2ec2-fe1d-ed65dfd45c3f@gmail.com>
On 21/02/2023 19:03, kurtz le pirate wrote:
> There is also <http://ngplant.org/>
> With some explanations and example here :
> <http://louisbel.free.fr/macros/ngplant/ngplant.html>
Thanks a lot, will play with it this night.
--
YB

Post a reply to this message

From: yesbird
Date: 21 Feb 2023 12:40:03
Message: <4f3848cb-7cbf-f277-517d-f9eb927839a9@gmail.com>
On 21/02/2023 19:07, Thomas de Groot wrote:
> I use Arbaro once in a while. Didn't Friedrich Lohmueller provide a
> small collection of trees he made with it?
Yes, exactly, this is the way I came to it:
https://povlab.online/povtutorial/plants/plants_00e.html

The great advantage of Arbaro is the ability to include native and
custom POV objects in constructions it produces. Now I am teaching it to
grow flowers.

> As said elsewhere, I shall look in my archive tomorrow.
Ooo, thanks in advance.
--
YB