POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.object-collection : 2008 Q3 News Server Time
28 Mar 2024 14:23:17 EDT (-0400)
  2008 Q3 News (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Chris B
Subject: 2008 Q3 News
Date: 28 Sep 2008 10:38:35
Message: <48df96eb@news.povray.org>
The Object Collection at http://lib.povray.org has been going for 11 months
and there are some excellent objects and macros being added each month.
Monthly downloads seem to have levelled off.  The peak month was July with
just over 3400 downloads.  At the time of writing we've had 2270 downloads
so far this month with Blue Herring's new MakeRoom macro taking the lead and
Nekar Xenos' updated Galaxy macro and Bill's meshrelief macro sharing second
place
(http://lib.povray.org/searchcollection/downloadsummary.php?rollup=1&sort=total).

Recent Stuff
------------
Nekar Xenos has uploaded NXPlanets which gives you a macro for building
planets (reminds me of HHGTTG). He's also provided a rounded box shape for
use in a blob statement.

SharkD has defined a set of sprites for 2D game design (called GameSprites)
and has uploaded a set of 19 different objects grouped under the
contribution name 'FranciscoMunoz' ranging from pieces of fruit to an APC
and a dinosaur model and including a couple of swords and a clock for your
mantlepiece.

Warp has contributed a nice wooden GardenChair.  Leroy has added the
lrchairs macro for generating cheap indoor chairs. Did I already mention
SwivelStool by Charles C which is a metal framed swivelling stool (with a
black padded top)?

MultiObjectPattern by Blue Herring provides a macro to add ornate patterns
around things like the classical clay urn and podium that he has used in his
examples. His (already popular) MakeRoom macros give you a simple way to
generate a backdrop for interior scenes. His TrainFaces file provides a
range of rotund and expressive faces similar to those popularised by the
Thomas the Tank Engine series and his ZChars contribution can be used to add
special characters to a scene.

Cousin Ricky has uploaded 'RoundEdge' macros and functions to help round the
edges of CSG, Isosurface and Blob objects. He's also made a very inviting
mug of tea for everyone.

Updated Objects
------------------
Nekar Xenos has updated his popular Galaxy contribution to make it standards
compliant and to add a bunch of parameters to give you more control over the
galaxy you generate. I've uploaded a new version of the Scroll macro which
now incorporates (amongst other things) a macro to add uv-mapped, full
justified text to the scroll object.

Apologies (and feel free to chip in) if I missed anything.

Objects Wanted
If anyone has any objects suitable for halloween then now would be a good
time to think about uploading them (ideas: candles, a skull, haunted house).
There's a halloween Pumpkin macro there already if you're starting out on
building your spooky scenes.

October and November would be a good time to upload Christmassy objects so
that people have time to build them into their Xmas scenes.

Regards,
Chris B.

Post a reply to this message