POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Possible to use coordinates from an external text file? Server Time
29 Mar 2024 11:51:10 EDT (-0400)
  Possible to use coordinates from an external text file? (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: TomB
Subject: Possible to use coordinates from an external text file?
Date: 19 Oct 2015 10:40:01
Message: <web.5624fffcd480363d81763ba0@news.povray.org>
Hi,

I am brand new to POV-Ray, and want to use it to visualize some scientific data.
I would like to know if it is possible to read in coordinates from an external
text file. For example, if I want to create a number of spheres at coordinates
[x,y,z], but these coordinates are stored in another file - I don't want to copy
them all into the POV-Ray script. Or if anyone could point me to some resource
online for this kind of thing?

Any advice would be appeciated,

Thanks!

Tom

Post a reply to this message

> I am brand new to POV-Ray, and want to use it to visualize some scientific data.
> I would like to know if it is possible to read in coordinates from an external
> text file. For example, if I want to create a number of spheres at coordinates
> [x,y,z], but these coordinates are stored in another file - I don't want to copy
> them all into the POV-Ray script. Or if anyone could point me to some resource
> online for this kind of thing?

You may want to have a look at POV-Ray's "#read" directive.

Alternatively, if you have full control over the format of the external
text file, you can use the "#include" directive in some creative way.

Post a reply to this message