POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : povray 3.7 does not give me a preview window, while 3.6 does Server Time
29 Mar 2024 09:39:21 EDT (-0400)
  povray 3.7 does not give me a preview window, while 3.6 does (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: wealthychef
Subject: povray 3.7 does not give me a preview window, while 3.6 does
Date: 24 Jul 2014 20:00:03
Message: <web.53d19d982f2fe8a0784e7dc60@news.povray.org>
Hi, I'm using a render script as follows.  When I run it using povray 3.6, it
shows a preview display window, which is what I obviously want when I set
Display=On and use +D on the command line.  With povray 3.7, I do not get a
display window.  Has something changed?
Thanks

cat <<EOF >tmpy.ini
Output_File_Type=n
Verbose=On
Pause_when_done=Off
Start_Row=0.0
End_Row=1.0
Video_Mode=1
Display=On
Antialias=On
Antialias_Threshold=0.99
Sampling_Method=2
Declare=Shadows=1
;; Declare=camPath=1
EOF

povray3.7 -Itmpy.ini +H${height} +W${width} $debug  +D  +SP256 +P myfile.pov

Post a reply to this message

Am 25.07.2014 01:58, schrieb wealthychef:
> Hi, I'm using a render script as follows.  When I run it using povray 3.6, it
> shows a preview display window, which is what I obviously want when I set
> Display=On and use +D on the command line.  With povray 3.7, I do not get a
> display window.  Has something changed?
> Thanks
>
> cat <<EOF >tmpy.ini
> Output_File_Type=n
> Verbose=On
> Pause_when_done=Off
> Start_Row=0.0
> End_Row=1.0
> Video_Mode=1
> Display=On
> Antialias=On
> Antialias_Threshold=0.99
> Sampling_Method=2
> Declare=Shadows=1
> ;; Declare=camPath=1
> EOF
>
> povray3.7 -Itmpy.ini +H${height} +W${width} $debug  +D  +SP256 +P myfile.pov

 From the above code I presume you're using the Linux version of POV-Ray.

Make sure that before you build POV-Ray, the SDL (Simple DirectMedia
Layer) library development package (SDL-dev I guess) is installed on
your computer. If this is not the case, POV-Ray cannot build with
preview window support.

As for POV-Ray 3.6, my guess is that you might have obtained it as a
pre-built binary with the SDL library linked statically.

Post a reply to this message

> As for POV-Ray 3.6, my guess is that you might have obtained it as a
> pre-built binary with the SDL library linked statically.

Did 3.6 even use SDL at all? (POV-Ray has been around for a really
long time, way before SDL, and it has always shown a preview window
on Unix/X. I think in the past it called the X API directly.)

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

>> As for POV-Ray 3.6, my guess is that you might have obtained it as a
>> pre-built binary with the SDL library linked statically.
>
> Did 3.6 even use SDL at all? (POV-Ray has been around for a really
> long time, way before SDL, and it has always shown a preview window
> on Unix/X. I think in the past it called the X API directly.)

You are right, 3.6 did not use SDL, but tried to handle the X11 options
itself.

--
IQ of crossposters with FU: 100 / (number of groups)
IQ of crossposters without FU: 100 / (1 + number of groups)

Post a reply to this message

>> As for POV-Ray 3.6, my guess is that you might have obtained it as a
>> pre-built binary with the SDL library linked statically.
>
> Did 3.6 even use SDL at all? (POV-Ray has been around for a really
> long time, way before SDL, and it has always shown a preview window
> on Unix/X. I think in the past it called the X API directly.)

Whatever. I haven't bothered about Linux render preview until a few days
ago, when I needed to test some changes in the code regarding our use of
the std:: namespace.