POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Artefact in lathe object using hollow and interior media emission Server Time
28 Mar 2024 15:01:49 EDT (-0400)
  Artefact in lathe object using hollow and interior media emission (Message 1 to 10 of 11)
From: nj
Subject: Artefact in lathe object using hollow and interior media emission
Date: 19 Jan 2021 10:55:01
Message: <web.6006ffcd194b9f0ae45c73b20@news.povray.org>
I am having trouble with an artifact on a lathe object that uses hollow and
interior media emission. I simplified my code as much as I could. Specifically,
the original lathe uses a more complex spline.

Example code:
-------------

#version 3.7;

camera {
    location <0,0,-10>
    look_at 0
}

lathe {
    linear_spline
    2,
    <1,-100>, <1,100>

    hollow on
    pigment {rgbf 1}
    interior { media { emission <1,1,1> } }
}

What I was expecting:
---------------------

A simple white cylinder crossing the picture from top to bottom.

What I got instead:
-------------------

The cylinder is cut in the middle: https://imgbox.com/nKVHRwXi

The size of the cut strongly depends on the distance of the two points given:
    <1,-100>, <1,100>
->
    <1,-1000>, <1,1000>
yields: https://imgbox.com/crXJfclu

Version: POV-Ray 3.7.0.4.unofficial
OS: Ubuntu 18.04

Any pointers of what I am doing wrong would be appreciated!

Post a reply to this message

> I am having trouble with an artifact on a lathe object that uses hollow and
> interior media emission. I simplified my code as much as I could. Specifically,
> the original lathe uses a more complex spline.
>

> Example code:
> -------------
>
> #version 3.7;
>
> camera {
>      location <0,0,-10>
>      look_at 0
> }
>
> lathe {
>      linear_spline
>      2,
>      <1,-100>, <1,100>
>
>      hollow on
>      pigment {rgbf 1}
>      interior { media { emission <1,1,1> } }
> }

When using media containers, you need closed objects. Your object is
open at both ends, meaning that the media is not constrained by that object.

Change your lathe as follow :
lathe {
     linear_spline
     4, // instead of 2
     <0, -100>, // added bottom end cap
     <1,-100>, <1,100>,
     <0, 100> // added top end cap

     hollow //on Default to on when hollow is present
     pigment {rgbf 1}
     interior { media { emission <1,1,1> } }
}

In your original lathe, make sure that the first and last points have a
zero U coordinate. If not, increase the point count and add the missing
point.

Alain

Post a reply to this message