POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Media density Server Time
19 Apr 2024 12:52:23 EDT (-0400)
  Media density (Message 14 to 23 of 23)
From: clipka
Subject: Re: Media density
Date: 25 Jul 2016 04:56:26
Message: <5795d43a$1@news.povray.org>
Am 25.07.2016 um 10:32 schrieb Stephen:

>>> Yes, but are the 'colours' used /inside/ the density statements not read
>>> as grey tints? That is what I have understood (which doesn't mean
>>> anything of course). ;-)
>>
>> I looked that up and was put back right on my feet again. I must have an
>> alternate universe documentation file in my head... :-)
>
> That's what I thought. That it averaged the colour values.
> Where about in the documentation. Do you have a reference?

It is neither a grey value, nor a plain average.

I suspect your misconceptions may have their roots somewhere in the fact
that there are two knobs available to introduce colour to media: The
`emission`, `scattering` or `absorption` statement, respectively, and
the `density` statement.

Post a reply to this message

>>> I looked that up and was put back right on my feet again. I must have an
>>> alternate universe documentation file in my head... :-)
>>
>> That's what I thought. That it averaged the colour values.
>> Where about in the documentation. Do you have a reference?
>
> It is neither a grey value, nor a plain average.

And it is?

> I suspect your misconceptions may have their roots somewhere in the fact
> that there are two knobs available to introduce colour to media: The
> `emission`, `scattering` or `absorption` statement, respectively, and
> the `density` statement.

I'm thinking of the value that the `density` statement passes to the
media statement. Which it gets from the df3 file.

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

>>> Yes, but are the 'colours' used /inside/ the density statements not read
>>> as grey tints? That is what I have understood (which doesn't mean
>>> anything of course). ;-)
>>>

>> I looked that up and was put back right on my feet again. I must have an
>> alternate universe documentation file in my head... :-)
>>

> That's what I thought. That it averaged the colour values.
> Where about in the documentation. Do you have a reference?

In the media section [3.4.8.4.2 Density with color_map]. In the wiki
that probably is at a different paragraph number.

Like you, was under the impression that colour values were averaged and
I don't remember where I got that notion from :-(

--
Thomas

Post a reply to this message