POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.news-submissions : Build a render-farm with Instant-Grid V1.0 Server Time
25 Apr 2024 04:04:30 EDT (-0400)
  Build a render-farm with Instant-Grid V1.0 (Message 1 to 1 of 1)
From: afelix
Subject: Build a render-farm with Instant-Grid V1.0
Date: 14 May 2007 04:35:02
Message: <web.46481ee63176507a9a963ce10@news.povray.org>
Instant-Grid (http://www.instant-grid.org) is a Knoppix-based live linux
system designed for easily building a computer-grid. One computer boots
with the Instant-Grid-CD and all other computers will boot from Network via
PXE. A grid-middleware (Globus Toolkit 4) is automatically configured and
ready to use. After the boot process you will have a computer-cluster with
grid functionality.
It is fully free and can be downloaded from http://www.instant-grid.org .

Instant-Grid contains a bunch of applications to demonstrate grid-technology
in a beginner-friendly way.

One grid-enabled application is rendering with POV-Ray. Rendering is
possible in two ways: By using a PHP-based webfrontend or by using a
Portlet inside our Portal-System. Both ways automatically distribute to all
computers of the grid, hence reducing total rendering time.

The webfrontend was announced earlier in this news session and now has the
capability to render animations. The Portlet uses grid-workflows
(http://www.gridworkflow.org) based on petri-nets and is also capable of
rendering still images and animations.

Bildung und Forschung" most parts are in german and some are in english.
Anyway usage should be intuitive and remarks are very welcome.

Please feel free to download and test our 1.0 release. Since it is a
live-system, your computer will not be changed in any way. Just remove the
CD and reboot to get your old system back.

Have fun with your render-grid.

Andreas

afe### [at] gwdgde