POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.macintosh : v3.6 binary for MacOS 9 fails to run on MacOS 9 Server Time
28 Mar 2024 19:13:54 EDT (-0400)
  v3.6 binary for MacOS 9 fails to run on MacOS 9 (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: 1Daedalus
Subject: v3.6 binary for MacOS 9 fails to run on MacOS 9
Date: 22 Aug 2005 15:30:01
Message: <web.430a279eebcae12840d52b80@news.povray.org>
I downloaded the latest povray v3.6 binary package for a PPC MacOS 9 system
to replace a previous version of povray.  The new povray appears to have
installed successfully, but does not start properly.  The splash screen
appears, and status messages flash by, but before the startup completes,
the splash screen and other povray windows vanish, no error message, no
crash log, but no povray either.

Does anyone have a clue why povray won't start?

Post a reply to this message

> I downloaded the latest povray v3.6 binary package for a PPC MacOS 9 system
> to replace a previous version of povray.  The new povray appears to have
> installed successfully, but does not start properly.  The splash screen
> appears, and status messages flash by, but before the startup completes,
> the splash screen and other povray windows vanish, no error message, no
> crash log, but no povray either.
>
> Does anyone have a clue why povray won't start?

As stated on the download page, at least Mac OS 9.2 is required to run
POV-Ray.  Updates from Mac OS 9.0 to Mac OS 9.2 are a free download and have
been available for many years.

	Thorsten

Post a reply to this message

> > I downloaded the latest povray v3.6 binary package for a PPC MacOS 9 system
> > to replace a previous version of povray.  The new povray appears to have
> > installed successfully, but does not start properly.  The splash screen
> > appears, and status messages flash by, but before the startup completes,
> > the splash screen and other povray windows vanish, no error message, no
> > crash log, but no povray either.
> >
> > Does anyone have a clue why povray won't start?
>
> As stated on the download page, at least Mac OS 9.2 is required to run
> POV-Ray.  Updates from Mac OS 9.0 to Mac OS 9.2 are a free download and have
> been available for many years.
>
>  Thorsten

Yes 9.2.1 and 9.2.2 have been out for years, but the download is
prohibitively large; and the changes are only for OS X compatability.  I
guess I'll sitck with POV-Ray v3.1gR2