POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.macintosh : Animation software Server Time
18 Apr 2024 20:13:03 EDT (-0400)
  Animation software (Message 1 to 10 of 13)
From: David Burnett
Subject: Animation software
Date: 5 Apr 2003 08:42:10
Message: <pan.2003.04.05.13.41.33.747252@ntlworld.com>
I'd like some recomendations for software
for creating animations from povray that
creates movies that will play when downloaded
to websites.

So far the software I've found either does
not work with a sequence of files, seems
to create stuff in resource forks so you can
copy them to websites, hey you can't copy them
in the terminal without them 'breaking' or
creates files that QT won't play!!!

Dave

Post a reply to this message

In article <pan### [at] ntlworldcom> , "David Burnett"
<var### [at] ntlworldcom> wrote:

> I'd like some recomendations for software
> for creating animations from povray that
> creates movies that will play when downloaded
> to websites.
>
> So far the software I've found either does
> not work with a sequence of files, seems
> to create stuff in resource forks so you can
> copy them to websites, hey you can't copy them
> in the terminal without them 'breaking' or
> creates files that QT won't play!!!

What is wrong with using QuickTime itself?  It will export to many
formats...

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde

On Sat, 05 Apr 2003 17:43:52 +0200, Thorsten Froehlich wrote:

> In article <pan### [at] ntlworldcom> , "David
> Burnett" <var### [at] ntlworldcom> wrote:
>
>> I'd like some recomendations for software for creating animations from
>> povray that creates movies that will play when downloaded to websites.
>>

> What is wrong with using QuickTime itself?  It will export to many
> formats...

General lack of knowledge. Plus as far as I can see you need QT Pro to do
a 'slideshow'.

The only other experience I have with QT is MediaPipes which uses QT to
decode and encode file but

a) it doesn't seem to take in a sequence of files, i.e. a povray
animation

b) The QT file it produced was the one the breaks if I copy it, or upload
it to a webserver.

Dave

Post a reply to this message

From: Paul Bourke
Date: 6 Apr 2003 06:05:56
Message: <pbourke-516F87.20040406042003@netplex.aussie.org>
> General lack of knowledge. Plus as far as I can see you need QT Pro to do
> a 'slideshow'.

Correct, but it also creates movies using any QT codec, AVI, and MPEG
2 and 4 (depending on the machine/license you purchase). For what it
costs I believe it's a pretty good buy, I use it exclusively.

> a) it doesn't seem to take in a sequence of files, i.e. a povray
> animation

QT PRo does, I use TGA but I supports lots of other formats, at
least PNG and TIFF.....probably others.

> b) The QT file it produced was the one the breaks if I copy it, or upload
> it to a webserver.

I suggest this is some other problem, nothing to do with QT.
--
Paul Bourke
pbo### [at] swineduau

Post a reply to this message

From: David Burnett
Date: 6 Apr 2003 08:16:59
Message: <pan.2003.04.06.12.16.22.66044@ntlworld.com>
On Sun, 06 Apr 2003 21:04:05 +1000, Paul Bourke wrote:
>> b) The QT file it produced was the one the breaks if I copy it, or upload
>> it to a webserver.
>
> I suggest this is some other problem, nothing to do with QT.

I would have thought so to, but diff claims the files are identical.
I'm guessing that its a resource fork problem. I'll probably take
this up with the mediapipe people.

I'm just suprised there isn't a simple free command line utility
for conveting a series pictures into an animation, they where ten
a penny back in my Amiga days, which is the last time I actually
tried to do this :-)

Dave

Post a reply to this message

From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 6 Apr 2003 13:04:30
Message: <3e905e1e$1@news.povray.org>
<var### [at] ntlworldcom> wrote:

> I would have thought so to, but diff claims the files are identical.
> I'm guessing that its a resource fork problem. I'll probably take
> this up with the mediapipe people.

How can there be a problem if the files are identical?  You are doing
something wrong when transmitting the file ... because your other statement
suggest you are on Mac OS X, and there is no setting for QuickTime on Mac OS
X to put movies into resource forks (there is on Mac OS 9).

    Thorsten

Post a reply to this message

From: Yvo Smellenbergh
Date: 7 Apr 2003 02:03:39
Message: <1ft1cv1.rbn5a31jftseeN%yvos.s@gmx.net>
David Burnett <var### [at] ntlworldcom> wrote:

> I'd like some recomendations for software
> for creating animations from povray that
> creates movies that will play when downloaded
> to websites.
Don't know why but most movies created on a mac will not play when
downloaded to websites.
Just create your movie and convert it.

For converting I use a little converter which can be found at:
http://www.win.ne.jp/~juan/misc/mpg/index_e.html
It is pretty old but works, just look for the Carbon version at the
bottom of the page.
I'm sure there are better and/or more recent utilities for this but I
didn't look because this one works :-)

I hope this is what you are looking for.

Yvo

--
MacMegaPOV at:
http://users.skynet.be/smellenbergh

E-mail: yvo### [at] gmxnet

Post a reply to this message

From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 7 Apr 2003 05:00:42
Message: <3e913e3a$1@news.povray.org>
In article <1ft1cv1.rbn5a31jftseeN%yvos.s@gmx.net> , yvos.s@gmx.net (Yvo
Smellenbergh) wrote:

> Don't know why but most movies created on a mac will not play when
> downloaded to websites.
> Just create your movie and convert it.

Because somebody changed the "QuickTime Exchange" setting of QuickTime in
Mac OS 9 or simply didn't install the QuickTime web browser plug in.

Everything else are just some other user errors on the uploading side; in
particular there are a _very_ few web servers cleverly configured to send
files with the extension ".mov" as text.

Apart from that, all movie files are identical in format, and it is simply
wrong that QuickTime movie files won't play when put on websites:

In fact it has been a trivial thing to do all along, or how do you think
Eduard's movie at <http://mac.povray.org/art_artists/esp/3worldsmovie.html>
(dating back to 1995) is able to play on the web?  It doesn't require a
magican or some odd tools to put a QuickTime movie up on the web.  And it
definetly works on all the big free webspace providers.

From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 7 Apr 2003 05:14:44
Message: <3e914184$1@news.povray.org>
<var### [at] ntlworldcom> wrote:

> I would have thought so to, but diff claims the files are identical.
> I'm guessing that its a resource fork problem. I'll probably take
> this up with the mediapipe people.
>
> I'm just suprised there isn't a simple free command line utility
> for conveting a series pictures into an animation, they where ten
> a penny back in my Amiga days, which is the last time I actually
> tried to do this :-)

Well, it is you making some obscure mistake.  And so far all you did was say
"they don't play" and said the files are identical.  You didn't say where
the movies is placed, how it gets there or anything that can really be used
to help you.  So everybody can just be guessing what is your mistake, but
nobody can really help you.

Given that you ask for a command-line utility I assume you are on Mac OS X,
because it wouldn't make sense elsewhere. So follow these instructions:

1. Go to the System preferences: Sharing pane.

2. Enable Personal Web Sharing

3. At the bottom of the dialog, you should then see the selectable text:
"View this computer's web sites at http://most.likely.your.ip.address/ or
your personal web site at http://most.likely.your.ip.address/~username/"

4. Go to your "Home" folder.

5. Enter the folder "Sites".

6. Take the movie you have and copy it to this folder.  Make sure it has  a
proper extension ".mov" for the webserver to know what type of file it is.
Also, its filename should (for now) only consist of alphanumerical
characters, that is no spaces or other "odd" characters.

7. Now go to your computer's website listed as the _first_ URL in (3).

8. You should be seeing the default Apache website. If you don't see the
default Apache website something is screwed up on your computer (asumming
Person Web Sharing wasn't used previously).

9. Now go to your own website listed as the _second_ URL in (3).

10. To the given URL, append the filename of the movie copied in (6)

11. The movie will play.

From: David Burnett
Date: 7 Apr 2003 14:34:11
Message: <pan.2003.04.07.18.33.33.325134@ntlworld.com>
On Sun, 06 Apr 2003 20:04:29 +0200, Thorsten Froehlich wrote:

> In article <pan### [at] ntlworldcom> , "David
> Burnett" <var### [at] ntlworldcom> wrote:
>
>> I'm guessing that its a resource fork problem. I'll probably take this
>> up with the mediapipe people.
>
> How can there be a problem if the files are identical?  You are doing
> something wrong when transmitting the file ... because your other
> statement suggest you are on Mac OS X, and there is no setting for
> QuickTime on Mac OS X to put movies into resource forks (there is on Mac
> OS 9).

The reason all this is happening is due to, for some reason best left to
apple to explain, the quicktime moov header is in a resource fork.
Persumably diff, being a unix command is unaware of such things. The 'ls'
command shows the files to be the same size. I'm a command line junkie so
didn't notice that according to finder there's a 4k difference.

Apparently to solve this problem I have to buy QT Pro or equivalent and
use the save as option to create a 'self contained movie'. I'm getting
this second hand so that may be totally correct (can someone please
comfirm this as I'm not in the habit of buying software to get
functionality that might not be there) as it is I downloaded
GraphicConverter and found the equivalent option. I can now copy the file
with abandon and it plays from a website. Then Slime goes an moans that its
a QT movie :-).

Dave