POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.macintosh : The New Exponentiation Server Time
20 Apr 2024 07:29:51 EDT (-0400)
  The New Exponentiation (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: bob douglas
Subject: The New Exponentiation
Date: 18 Apr 2003 07:59:23
Message: <3E9FE902.2090505@ihug.com.au>
I am no longer able to reproduce one of my scenes due to the change in
exponentiation in 3.5, now in the form of pow(a,b) - formerly a^b.

The scene uses a particularly pathological function for an isosurface, in which
negative floating point values are raised to floating point powers - a situation
where the results are normally undefined.

When I was able to generate my scene using the form a^b, "legal" values were
generated and pixels were rendered for negative floating point 'a' and floating
point 'b'.

In 3.5, using pow(a,b) I just get black.

Is there some way of emulating the old a^b in order to render my scene?

Yes, I could go back to 3.1 but I am hoping the faster render speed of 3.5 would
avoid my ordeal in 3.1 - I had to wait over 38 hours for a top quality 320 x 240!

What is the big difference in implementation of exponentiation in the new version,
and why was it altered?

Many thanks for any help,

Bob Douglas

Post a reply to this message

On Fri, 18 Apr 2003 22:01:06 +1000, bob douglas <rod### [at] ihugcomau> wrote:
> Is there some way of emulating the old a^b in order to render my scene?

use select() outside or inside of pow() to consider all possible cases.

> Yes, I could go back to 3.1 but I am hoping the faster render speed of 3.5 would
> avoid my ordeal in 3.1 - I had to wait over 38 hours for a top quality 320 x 240!

AFAIK in 3.1 there was neither isosurface nor ^ operator.

> What is the big difference in implementation of exponentiation in the new version,
> and why was it altered?

http://news.povray.org/u226tughik82ggvv847sgr277j3pdicsdb%404ax.com

ABX

Post a reply to this message