POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Glass for v3.8 finish features Server Time
28 Mar 2024 10:35:16 EDT (-0400)
  Glass for v3.8 finish features (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: Chris R
Subject: Glass for v3.8 finish features
Date: 2 Aug 2022 11:30:00
Message: <web.62e942de1adc8eb48a3c0aee5cc1b6e@news.povray.org>
Whenever I create a scene that contains objects made of glass, I spend a lot of
time tweaking the various pigment, finish, and interior parameters of the
material to try and get something that looks realistic.  Sometimes I start with
what I can find in glass.inc, but it doesn't appear to have been updated since
v3.5.

Has anyone worked on something similar to RC3Metal for glass that takes
advantage of all of the new finish features in later versions?  It might be
something I'd be willing to explore, but I don't have a great grasp on how all
of combinations, including fresnel interact, so it's going to be hit and miss.

Thanks,

-- Chris R.

Post a reply to this message

Le 2022-08-02 à 11:29, Chris R a écrit :
> Whenever I create a scene that contains objects made of glass, I spend a lot of
> time tweaking the various pigment, finish, and interior parameters of the
> material to try and get something that looks realistic.  Sometimes I start with
> what I can find in glass.inc, but it doesn't appear to have been updated since
> v3.5.
>
> Has anyone worked on something similar to RC3Metal for glass that takes
> advantage of all of the new finish features in later versions?  It might be
> something I'd be willing to explore, but I don't have a great grasp on how all
> of combinations, including fresnel interact, so it's going to be hit and miss.
>
> Thanks,
>
> -- Chris R.

Normally, for a transparent object having an IOR, you use reflection{1
fresnel} to control the reflectivity. There is usually no need to use
another value here.
Fresnel reflection depends entirely on the ratio between the ior on each
sides of the surface and the angle of incidence. A ratio of 1 mean NO
reflection. A standalone object without an interior defining an ior
different from 1 will also show no fresnel reflection.

When the fresnel keyword is present, it always default to ON.
falloff and exponent should be left to their default values. Don't use
those.
Do not use metallic.

Then, you should also use the fresnel option for the highlights. Need
the latest version. IIRC, it was not implemented in version 3.7, but is
supported in the latest V1.8 beta.
Examples : specular 0.7 fresnel roughness 0.001, phong 0.7 fresnel
phong_size 500

Also, you should use transmit 1 or filter 1 as your pigment.
If you want the object to be coloured, use fading in the interior
statement :
interior{ior 1.5 fade_color rgb<1, 0.6, 0.6> fade_distance 1 fade_power
1001}// A pink object.
Adjust fade_distance for the dimension and scale of your object. It's
easily the most important parameter when using fading colours in an
interior.

ALWAYS use conserve_energy.

Sample glass :
texture{
	pigment{rgbt 1}
	finish{specular 1 roughness 0.001 fresnel
		ambient 0 diffuse 0
		reflection{ 1 fresnel }
		conserve_energy
	}
}
interior{ ior 1.5 //typical glass IOR
	fade_color rgb<0.9, 1, 0.9>//slightly greenish
	fade_distance 2 // Adjust to the size and scale of the object
	fade_power 1001}

Post a reply to this message

Alain Martel <kua### [at] videotronca> wrote:

> > Whenever I create a scene that contains objects made of glass, I spend a lot of
> > time tweaking the various pigment, finish, and interior parameters of the
> > material to try and get something that looks realistic.  Sometimes I start with
> > what I can find in glass.inc, but it doesn't appear to have been updated since
> > v3.5.
> >
> > Has anyone worked on something similar to RC3Metal for glass that takes
> > advantage of all of the new finish features in later versions?  It might be
> > something I'd be willing to explore, but I don't have a great grasp on how all
> > of combinations, including fresnel interact, so it's going to be hit and miss.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > -- Chris R.
> >

> Normally, for a transparent object having an IOR, you use reflection{1
> fresnel} to control the reflectivity. There is usually no need to use
> another value here.
> Fresnel reflection depends entirely on the ratio between the ior on each
> sides of the surface and the angle of incidence. A ratio of 1 mean NO
> reflection. A standalone object without an interior defining an ior
> different from 1 will also show no fresnel reflection.
>
> When the fresnel keyword is present, it always default to ON.
> falloff and exponent should be left to their default values. Don't use
> those.
> Do not use metallic.
>
> Then, you should also use the fresnel option for the highlights. Need
> the latest version. IIRC, it was not implemented in version 3.7, but is
> supported in the latest V1.8 beta.
> Examples : specular 0.7 fresnel roughness 0.001, phong 0.7 fresnel
> phong_size 500
>
> Also, you should use transmit 1 or filter 1 as your pigment.
> If you want the object to be coloured, use fading in the interior
> statement :
> interior{ior 1.5 fade_color rgb<1, 0.6, 0.6> fade_distance 1 fade_power
> 1001}// A pink object.
> Adjust fade_distance for the dimension and scale of your object. It's
> easily the most important parameter when using fading colours in an
> interior.
>
> ALWAYS use conserve_energy.
>
> Sample glass :
> texture{
>  pigment{rgbt 1}
>  finish{specular 1 roughness 0.001 fresnel
>   ambient 0 diffuse 0
>   reflection{ 1 fresnel }
>   conserve_energy
>  }
> }
> interior{ ior 1.5 //typical glass IOR
>  fade_color rgb<0.9, 1, 0.9>//slightly greenish
>  fade_distance 2 // Adjust to the size and scale of the object
>  fade_power 1001}

Thanks for the insights.  I am trying them out now.

I don't have a good understanding of when to use the albedo keywork for specular
and diffuse reflection.  I note that you do not use it above.

-- Chris R.

Post a reply to this message