POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Importing an image to use on pov ray and overlaying a line Server Time
16 Apr 2024 00:28:21 EDT (-0400)
  Importing an image to use on pov ray and overlaying a line (Message 1 to 10 of 12)
From: 6digit
Subject: Importing an image to use on pov ray and overlaying a line
Date: 17 Jul 2022 11:45:00
Message: <web.62d42d79b67b6e84eb0f47cfb08dd02@news.povray.org>
Good evening,

I'm new to pov ray, so I need help with some issues.
1. how do I import an image into pov ray so I can overlay an object on it. I
have tried and used various threads. one suggested using something called screen
inc. the issue I'm having with this, is when I try to edit the camera it doesn't
seem to take any effect. so I was wondering if there's any other way of doing
this or could explain how the screen inc works.

2. if I do import the image how do I draw a simple line overlayed on the image.
also, I have looked at many threads. they too suggested drawing a very tin box.
is there another way to do this?

thank you.

Post a reply to this message

> I'm new to pov ray, so I need help with some issues.
> 1. how do I import an image into pov ray so I can overlay an object on it. I
> have tried and used various threads. one suggested using something called screen
> inc. the issue I'm having with this, is when I try to edit the camera it doesn't
> seem to take any effect. so I was wondering if there's any other way of doing
> this or could explain how the screen inc works.

one way is using an 'image_map' as a pigment, something like:

  plane {
    z, 1
    pigment {
      image_map {"myimg.jpg" once map_type 0}
    }
  }

and scale the object (or the pigment) to reflect the image dimensions.
<https://wiki.povray.org/content/Reference:Image_Map>

> 2. if I do import the image how do I draw a simple line overlayed on the image.
> also, I have looked at many threads. they too suggested drawing a very tin box.
> is there another way to do this?

cylinders, usually, for a line.  afaik, no, you "only" have the choice from
<https://wiki.povray.org/content/Reference:The_Object_Zoo>.  hth.

regards, jr.

Post a reply to this message

> > I'm new to pov ray, so I need help with some issues.
> > 1. how do I import an image into pov ray so I can overlay an object on it. I
> > have tried and used various threads. one suggested using something called screen
> > inc. the issue I'm having with this, is when I try to edit the camera it doesn't
> > seem to take any effect. so I was wondering if there's any other way of doing
> > this or could explain how the screen inc works.
>
> one way is using an 'image_map' as a pigment, something like:
>
>   plane {
>     z, 1
>     pigment {
>       image_map {"myimg.jpg" once map_type 0}
>     }
>   }
>
> and scale the object (or the pigment) to reflect the image dimensions.
> <https://wiki.povray.org/content/Reference:Image_Map>
>

> > 2. if I do import the image how do I draw a simple line overlayed on the image.
> > also, I have looked at many threads. they too suggested drawing a very tin box.
> > is there another way to do this?
>
> cylinders, usually, for a line.  afaik, no, you "only" have the choice from
> <https://wiki.povray.org/content/Reference:The_Object_Zoo>.  hth.
>

> regards, jr.

Thank you jr it worked fine but it appears theres a shadow as it is hard to see
the image.

Post a reply to this message