POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Minimum Distance Function Server Time
28 Mar 2024 14:18:37 EDT (-0400)
  Minimum Distance Function (Message 1 to 10 of 39)
From: jceddy
Subject: Minimum Distance Function
Date: 6 Jul 2022 16:15:00
Message: <web.62c5ec8895296eb4864166f75d51d79c@news.povray.org>
I've implemented a Minimum Distance algorithm that estimates the minimum
distance from any point and the surface of an object.

The reason I implemented it is so that I could use it inside an "internal"
function that I can then use in the definition of (for example) and isosurface.

The algorithm does a really short "brute force", checking vectors in a bunch of
directions from the point, and finding the shortest distance in any of those
directions (if there is actually a "hit" in any of those directions), in order
to get an initial estimate, then uses simulated annealing to improve the
estimate.

I have a few questions that are really specific to the development team:

Is there already functionality implementing a minimum distance to an arbitrary
object that I missed? I looked for one, but haven't actually asked directly.

Is this something that could work its way back into the povray code? I was
thinking that I would add a class to implement the simulated annealing in a
general way, a minimum distance implementation, and "internal" function to call
it from POV STL, and then probably a minimum distance pattern that would work
similar to the existing object pattern, except it wouldn't have sharp edges at
the object boundary. Where would be the preferred place to stick the simulated
annealing class? Is that the kind of thing that would go under Core/Math?

I am still playing with it a bit, but am thinking that if it might be useful for
other folks, I should do it "right" so I can submit it over on github.

I've included an attachment showing some of the testing I have been doing while
using the function to define an isosurface. In the two images, the object in the
center is just an object rendered directly, on the left is the object rendered
as an isosurface using a pigment pattern as the defining function (of course it
is terrible, due to the infinite gradient at the object surface), and on the
right the the object rendered as an isosurface using the minimum distance
function with a very short annealing period (BTW, the function flips the sign to
negative for points inside the object, so you have a clean 0.0 threshold at the
surface of the object).

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'test_both.png' (118 KB)

Preview of image 'test_both.png'
test_both.png

> Is there already functionality implementing a minimum distance to an arbitrary
> object that I missed? I looked for one, but haven't actually asked directly.

I don't believe there is - accessible from the SDL, anyway.  I know that in the
past, people have asked about ways to make pigment patterns based on the
distance of an object from the camera.
Can't find those threads at the moment...

> I am still playing with it a bit, but am thinking that if it might be useful for
> other folks, I should do it "right" so I can submit it over on github.

You are correct - it would be a useful thing to have.

>on the
> right the the object rendered as an isosurface using the minimum distance
> function with a very short annealing period (BTW, the function flips the sign to
> negative for points inside the object, so you have a clean 0.0 threshold at the
> surface of the object).

So, I'm curious, and confused.
This sounds a lot like ray-marching, mixed with signed distance functions.
And how are you taking an algorithm and having that work with a function {} ?

I don't know what you're exactly doing, or the details of how simulated
annealing work, but I'd likely approach this (naively, wrongly) by using the
bounding box and trace (), and only scanning a grid of points corresponding to
the resolution of the render, arranged on a plane just behind the bounding box
and perpendicular to the camera to look_at vector.

And that sounds like a macro more than a proper function...

- Bill

Post a reply to this message

> > Is there already functionality implementing a minimum distance to an arbitrary
> > object that I missed? I looked for one, but haven't actually asked directly.
>
> I don't believe there is - accessible from the SDL, anyway.  I know that in the
> past, people have asked about ways to make pigment patterns based on the
> distance of an object from the camera.
> Can't find those threads at the moment...
>
> > I am still playing with it a bit, but am thinking that if it might be useful for
> > other folks, I should do it "right" so I can submit it over on github.
>
> You are correct - it would be a useful thing to have.
>
> >on the
> > right the the object rendered as an isosurface using the minimum distance
> > function with a very short annealing period (BTW, the function flips the sign to
> > negative for points inside the object, so you have a clean 0.0 threshold at the
> > surface of the object).
>
> So, I'm curious, and confused.
> This sounds a lot like ray-marching, mixed with signed distance functions.
> And how are you taking an algorithm and having that work with a function {} ?
>

> I don't know what you're exactly doing, or the details of how simulated
> annealing work, but I'd likely approach this (naively, wrongly) by using the
> bounding box and trace (), and only scanning a grid of points corresponding to
> the resolution of the render, arranged on a plane just behind the bounding box
> and perpendicular to the camera to look_at vector.
>
> And that sounds like a macro more than a proper function...
>

> - Bill

After cruising around the forums a bit, I realize that I probably should have
posted this in programming instead of general.

I actually changed the povray source code to add a new built-in function type,
and patter type to call directly. The implementation is in the C++ source and
just exposed to SDL via a couple of new parser directives.

On my phone ATM, so will probably put something over in programming later
(unless there is a way for a forum admin to just move this thread or something).

I'm currently experimenting with some other options besides simulated annealing
for improving the initial estimate...simulated annealing is good for general
purpose because it helps avoid finding locally optimal solutions when it is not
the globally optimal one. For a lot of purposes though, a quick simple march of
rays could be good and fast enough, or even doing what I am doing now and then
just a simple gradient descent around the initial estimate to find the nearest
locally optimal solution.

It could be that a minimum_distance implementation could come with a few options
to allow the user to choose between different methods to balance
quality/performance and pick what works best with what they are doing.

Post a reply to this message